Chapter Twelve

Chapter Twelve

England...

"So, you've made your decision."

Queen Anne's back remained turned on Gwen, as her hand busily worked in her prayer beads. "Do you know what your choice implies?"

Gwen gave a short nod, her hands together before her. "Yes. Talon will no longer be in the running for the throne."

"Ah, yes, that is true, but..." The queen half-turned her eyes, going to the bite upon Gwen's neck. "This also means you will no longer be an innocent in this battle. No longer a blind pawn to be moved across the board." She fully faced her. "Talon will not be returning; a son for a son."

Gwen did not flinch under the unreadable gaze of the queen. Instead, she straightened and gave a short nod. "I will bear the weight of his lost, and welcome my new husband as king."

Lifting her chin in acknowledgement of Gwen's obedience, the queen turned back towards the window, a cold smile coming to her lips. "Well, then there is no need for any further delay." She stared down at the pond below, the beads clicking in her palm. "Long live the king."

***

"Aryan!"

"Kahlia!"

Bird eagerly greeted her eldest brother with a tight hug. Aryan was a behemoth who looked more like his mother than his father. His eyes were a dark lilac, and his skin glowed from his recent travel. The dark-golden color causing his black hair to stand out sharply against it. He wore the white colored, dark blue embroidered cloak over his tunic and pants. His dark blue head wrap denoted him as the crown prince.

They stood in the hallway, waiting to be called before the guests. She drew away from him and smiled. "When did you return?"

"Just last night," he said before giving her a curious look. "Only to find that the returned favored is to be married off."

She scoffed at him calling her "favored". "If I were so favored, I would not be forced to be here." She sent a meaningful glance towards Dua. "He caught me just as I'd tossed the sheet over the balcony."

Aryan's expression turned blank before he released a hearty laugh. "Then it is a wonder second mother and father waited so long." He placed a hand of comradery on her shoulder. "Father is not happy to be giving you away so soon after finding you. It is the customs that dictate a ball must be given when a woman can perform the maiden's bow."

Bird muttered a few choice words under her breath in annoyance.

Aryan observed his little sister. She was devastatingly beautiful. It was a great concern to his mother, the queen. Though Aryan had never thought to approach his half-sister, his mother worried over his concern and kindness towards Kahlia.

He'd gone so far as to remove himself from the palace so rumors would not spread. Still, his mother worried.

"You see her as a woman," his mother insisted a month before he'd decided it was best to leave. "People talk, Aryan. They say your bond with her lacks sibling love, but instead love of man and woman." Agitated, she'd waved away Fadi, who'd attempted to calm her.

"I need no consoling." She'd narrowed her eyes on him, her worry clear. "I've no worry for your throne. It is yours, but I do worry for your heart. You may not see it, but I do. I know what you find in her, and it is dangerous. Her blood is pure, daughter of Ilia and R'or. The descendants carry not only an allure, but power, great power. I would not wish you to be held under such as she."

Even now as he watched her animatedly speak of dumping her personal guard into the sea, he felt nothing but sibling love. His mother worried for naught. Still, it would be hard to convince her of such, as the woman held slight resentment and anger towards Kahlia's mother, Osis.