Chapter Nine

Morosely, Bird watched the groomsman train the horses a by pacing. She sat on a hill some ways from the stables, it was at the perfect angle to observe the stable and courtyard where the man trained in their weapons.

She couldn't seem to regain her humor, ever since her mother had warned her to stay away from the Prince. Her humor had stare darken, she couldn't explain fully in words what she felt. Just a longing, and nothing she did to fill the void would stem it.

She hadn't spoken with him for nearly three weeks, and yet she wished to, She wanted to see the other expressions he was capable of making. She believed what she held wasn't anything more than a mild curious interest.

Deep in thought, her fingers brushed over a bundle of grass, her eyes staring unseeing below.

"Mistress! Your mother summons you!"

Sighing, Bird seeing Fi racing up the side of the hill to meet her. She made her way down to meet her, "Did she speak to you of what she wished to speak?"

Fi avoided her gaze giving a shake of her head, "No, Mistress. She merely urged me to hurry and bring you to her."

Not wishing the speak allowed her annoyance at having her peace interrupted, Bird made her way back towards the palace. As she walked in silent thought, she felt more than saw the person she'd been unable to forget making his way towards her.

He walked with a somewhat arrogant swagger towards her, his hair was swept back but his grim expression remained. He seemed to be deep in thought, as he was some ways away from her, she quickly moved out of his way into an alcove.

He was handsome, she knew many would have thought so in Britain. She curled her fingers into the stone wall, quelling her urge to brush his locks back into place. He lifted a hand and pressed it into his chest, pain flashing in his eyes before he lowered his hand continuing towards the exit.

"Mistress, why are we hiding?" fi aske, from behind her where she'd hidden at the same time.

Exiting the alcove, Bird watched his disappear around the corner, "No reason, Fir." Turning her gaze away from his retreating form she gave the loyal servant a small smile, "Let's hurry, we cannot keep mother waiting."

***

"I am to what?!"

Bird exclaimed staring her mother incredulous.

Osis, shifted her correspondence aside meeting her daughter shocked gaze. "You are to be married."

Unsure of what to say Bird attempted to speak, "B-but, I thought I was to inherit your position, I do not wish to marry!"

Osis sighed, resting her right hand upon her table, "You will still earn my position, but my love, you are of age to be married. It is our way to be married at twenty suns. When you performed the maidens bow, you proved yourself adept and ready."

"I-I," she was at a loss for words. She didn't want this! She wished to live her life tied only to those she wished tom a marry. Her mother's return should have meant the end of such talk, instead she now stood in the center of her mother chambers feeling betrayed. Lowering her head, she felt her shoulders shaking, "...To be saved, to be sold once more." She muttered shooting her mother a look of betrayal before she turned running from the chamber.

"Kahlia!" Osis stood, but it was too late Bird had already left the chamber. "Fi, Go after her!" she commanded, before she tiredly plopped down. Brushing a tired hand over her forehead, she'd known her daughter wouldn't be please by the news. No, not her dear Bird. The child had taken to her new-found freedom like a fish to water, she wasn't willing to lose it any time soon. But everything in this world had a price, even if that price was for her safety.