Chapter Eight

Upon their return, Talon was immediately forced toward his lodgings. No words were spoken between Bird and he, as he was led away. Bird watched him leave, she didn't understand the sensation of lost shew as experiencing. It didn't feel normal for such a bond to have formed between she and he, yet here she stood at the gate watching his retreat.

A hand landed on her arm, "Princess, you must go inside the it is cold."

Turning away from the sight of the retreating prince, Bird met Fi's worried gaze and gave her reassuring smile, "You are right," as they moved towards her own chambers she asked, "Did father hear of this?"

"No," fi said escorting Bird along the entrance towards the stairs that lead to the upper levels. The lamps of light flickered, "Your mother interceded, she took the message."

Stopping in her steps, bird sent her a surprised look, "Mother is here?"

Fi gave a short nod, "Yes, mistress she is."

"I thought she wasn't returning for another fortnight," Bird steps picked up as she lifted her skirts she raced up the steps, "Mother!"

Running along the open air hallway she rushed to her room, opening the door she halted her skirts whipping forward and swaying as she met the gaze of her mother. Osis stood tall, her gaze on the garden below.

"Mother?"

Turning around, Osis hadn't aged a bit on her trip. Bird observed her appearance though she was covered in travel dust, their matching smiles were dimmed. Bird rushed forward, and her mother eagerly met her, wrapping her arms around her precious daughter in greeting. "You've come home."

"Yes, I am here." Osis said breathing in her daughter's scent, before pulled back. She brushed a loving hand over her daughter's face, "I've missed you sorely, the Egyptians were there usual long winded selves. I never thought I leave."

Laughing Bird grinned, "Did you give them their water then?"

She nodded, "Yes, I did. Magic has gown weak where they are, but it was doable."

Drawing back, she took Bird hands, "But I come home to my daughter cries of thieves and Gahiji murders," Worry dulled the deep brownish purple of her mother's eyes, "What trouble have you gotten yourself into child?"

Bird shook her head, "It wasn't me, I was simply trying to help a visiting prince. A cold one, a group of thieves attempted to assault us as we were returning to R'or." She leads her mother over to the sitting area, where the two sat still holding each other's hands. "but it turned out we weren't required."

"A cold one?" her mother repeated, Osis stiffened the hand holding her daughters stiffening. Her lashes fluttered as she leaned forward, "A prince you say, and his name is?"

Silently, Osis prayed that her worry didn't show but as her mind raced she could only think of one prince though the English soil boasted two, either one would be dangerous to have here.

"His name is Talon," Daughter admitted so innocently, and Osis felt her heart harden and her palms become salty. As she watched her daughter speak of the man, she'd managed to rescue her from three months ago, "He is somewhat cold, but unlike many of his kind I feel as though he is kinder than them."

Catching the softness in her daughter voice Osis felt her worry increase. Birds eyes had grown soft, and her voice wistful, "I know he is a vampire, and they do not know of love and, well, kindness. Still, I feel he is different, I feel he has known a great lost."