Chapter Four

"You've returned earlier than intended."

Talon barely glanced at his valet as he alighted from the sedan. "It would seem that this mission has become far more treacherous."

Dubh followed him through the high gates that gave view to an open courtyard. A single fountain sat in the center gurgling water from the lips of a maiden who held up an urn upright, attempting to pour the water onto the stone flower below.

"Treacherous, sir?"

Talon nodded, his eyes forward as he walked up the short steps that led him to an open room that served as a meeting area for another guest if they wished to visit him. It was comfortable with its lofty ceilings, and large space. The only door was the one Talon had just walked through. Light diaphanous curtains hung still in the large bay windows. It was well appointed, but Talon hadn't had time to appreciate the furniture or its design.

"The king is not interested in forming a treaty between our country and theirs. In fact, he seems all the more eager to send me back with nothing," Talon said in a matter-of-fact tone, as he approached a table in the corner of the room that held an expensive bourbon he was now very eager to try.

"Then does this mean we will be returning, sir?"

"No," Talon said, again sounding amused as he lifted the heavy decanter and peered at the dark liquid inside. "It means, my dear Dubh, that we will be much longer than I had first assumed."

Opening the decanter, he poured some of the dark liquid into a glass. His hand shook and Talon grimaced at that.

"I see, then I will immediately send a letter informing the king that our return date will be changed."

Talon nodded, not bothering to turn and watch Dubhs retreat. When he was sure his valet had left the room, he slowly lifted the decanter and placed it back on the table. Laying both the flats of his hands against it, he lowered his head. He could feel the grinding pain in his chest return and could now finally give into the weakness of curling inwards.

She was alive.

Her burnished skin had darkened. He assumed it was due to the bright sun that always shown in Katari. Her eyes had seemed brighter with the flecks of purple that flashed as she smiled. His fingers curled into the wood, his knuckles pressing hard against it.

In that palatial building surrounded by ivory walls and golden tipped domes, his Bird rested in sleep. Her smiles had become unshadowed, and her steps had been light. His jaw clenched. Was this to be his punishment? Had his father known that she was here?

Talon shook his head at that possibility. If his father had known, he would never have allowed him to come here. The man had made it obvious that he held no sympathy for Talon's forlorn love. Presently, Talon wished to go to her now. To pull her towards his chest and press his lips against the sweet pulse he knew lied right under her ear.

Yet, he knew as well as any stranger, such an action would destroy them both. She had no fond memories of him. He had been her tormentor and had pushed and prodded her till she'd sought death over anything else.

Her desire to escape him and his brother's cowardice had been stronger than her desire to live. Talon could not allow himself to be swept up by fancies that wouldn't serve any purpose other than to damn him to an eternity of being hated by her.

He could not allow himself to forget for one moment that Bird had loved his brother, had desired his brother.

Grabbing the cup of bourbon he'd poured earlier for himself, roughly, he quaffed it, allowing the burn to ease his trepidation and desire that warred within him. He would keep his distance and focus on convincing the stubborn Katari king to give him the rights to the rich metal that was this country's blood.