Chapter Thirteen

Chapter Thirteen

Long after the ball had ended, after she'd dismissed her servants for the night, Bird changed her clothes, preparing for her meeting with the prince.

Making sure to leave without awakening any of her lady maids or alerting Dua wasn't an easy task as the palace guards roamed the passageways, and never grew lax in their inspection of the grounds.

Arriving at the stables, she whistled, calling to Abi, a young man who'd she'd befriended her first week in the palace. He was a tall and wiry youth who eagerly took her silver, though he gave a worried look. "Princess, are you sure you should be leaving without Dua or Fi?"

She smiled, mounting the horse he'd prepared for her. A tall Arabian, who was known for its gentle nature. "Do not worry, I will be back before either know I've gone." Leaning down, she pressed her lips to his cheek. "If I do not return before the first crow, then you may alert them to my absence."

With that, she clicked her tongue, maneuvering the horse forward.

It didn't take her long to reach the high caverns, which led to the mines. She felt anxious. For a mere moment, she questioned what she was doing. Would she truly meet the prince, alone? As she drew closer, she began to doubt her decision. What if his invite had been a hoax, a mere passing thought that he soon forgot once he was on his ship back home.

Slowly, her anxious thoughts grew. As soon as she broke through the entranceway, they were laid to rest.

The prince stood, leaning his back against the wall of the cave, only in shirt-sleeves. He didn't notice her at first for his eyes were on his boots. His brow furrowed as if in deep thought. She kicked her horse's side so it moved at a quicker pace.

Hearing something, Talon lifted his gaze from the toes of his hessians to see Bird riding towards him. Nearing him, she stopped her horse and dismounted without his help. Unlike the times before, she wore no scarf and no layers upon layers of robes. Instead, she was in a simple white gown that was loose and reached her bare feet.

He blinked. She wore no shoes.

Noticing where his gaze was pointed, she shifted her gown to cover her feet, laughing nervously. "It is a habit I've yet to grow out of," she said. Grabbing the reigns of her horse, she smiled. "At one point in my life, I would have begged to wear them, and now...I always seem to forget to put them on."

Meeting her soft gaze, he felt something shift within him. "I wasn't sure you'd come."

"I wasn't sure I would either," Bird admitted, before walking past him, leading her horse over to the post. Tying it there securely, she turned around, facing Talon. "It would be detrimental to my reputation if we were caught alone."

"Then why did you come?" Talon asked, moving to her side, his eyes delving into her own. "You cannot trust that my intentions are pure."

She shrugged, a wistful smile coming to her lips. "Maybe I hoped your intentions were of the un-pure kind." She extended her hand out to him. "Come. You wished to see Ilia, did you not?"

Not saying anything, he took her hand, allowing her to lead him towards the entrance. Just like before, a door appeared from thin air, and as before, she led him into the dark cavern. This time, she didn't light the way, as she led him onwards to the main chamber.

Entering it, they walked hand in hand. Down below, the air wasn't as cold as it was outside of the mine. Releasing his hand, she finally faced him when they stopped on the landing. She walked further towards the edge of the lapping water, her eyes focused on the statue. "I've been told that I will be obligated to announce the one I wish to marry on the morrow."