Chapter Seven

As the two made their way back through the cavernous road, where the hills stood high, she found herself not so much worried for the silence that surrounded them. Instead, her focus was on learning more about the grim prince that rode before her. He didn't seem to smile often, and when he did, it seemed with a sardonic twist to his lips. Only, she didn't know why she felt responsible for his mood. She'd known nothing of him till he'd arrived.

They were a few feet from the exit when he stopped short. Lifting a hand, he signed for her to stop as well. Confused, Bird asked, "What is it?"

Talon tilted his head, listening. The lack of light did not harm his senses. In fact, they were sharper. Something wasn't right. He slowly released the reigns in his other hand and reached for the long dagger he hid in his boot, his eyes sharpening on the exit. "I believe we have company."

"Company?" Bird repeated, squinting at the exit, only for her eyes to widen at the bodies covered from head to toe in black robes and scarves hiding their faces. The clinking sound of their weapons caused her back to stiffen.

"Lady, your man is good at seeing the unseen," one of the Gahiji thieves spoke out. He held a sword loosely in his hands and motioned to his men. "But even if he sees us, we are more than one."

Moving quickly, Bird lifted her bow that rested on the back of her horse and pulled an arrow out, notching with quick fingers. "I believe you've miscounted, Bhat!" Her eyes narrowed on him, though she was sorely put out. It was hard for her to see.

He laughed and his man followed his lead, their eyes seeming to glow though there was no light. "Aha, yes, pretty lady, I've miscounted, but enough of this." He motioned with his sword towards their mounts. "We've interest in making this easy. Leave your horses and valuables and all will end well."

Talon shifted his horse back and closer to Bird's. He shook his head. "I am not comfortable with the idea of losing my horse." He turned his gaze to Bird. "When I shout, I wish for you to ride, hard... Do not look back."

Bird looked at him incredulously. "I cannot abandon you here."

"You can and you will," Talon said, his eyes and voice hard. "I am not as weak as you believe."

Before Bird could argue, he suddenly shouted, slapping her horse hard on its rump. With a neigh, the horse jerked its forelegs high and Bird lost her hold of her bow. Forced to reach for the reigns, she couldn't stop her horses sudden lurch forward.

The Gahiji scattered, avoiding being run over by the horse. Some attempted to run after her, but Talon called attention back to him by calling out, "I never knew Gahiji were such cowards!"

They stopped at his words and turned, a murderous glint in their eyes as they faced him, but Talon showed no fear. In fact, as he'd hoped, they all drew closer and felt the tension change. Something wasn't right as they hadn't immediately gone for his horse's reigns, but he couldn't put his finger on it.

Swinging his leg over, he jumped down.

The leader of the group suddenly seemed to notice the dangerous air that came from Talon, as he tightened his hold of his sword. "D-don't move!"

Talon ignored his warning and moved in front of his horse, his red eyes glowing brighter. "I've been concerned about whether I would be able to feed while in the country. Though I am able to go for long times without sustenance...it's been difficult." He glanced around at the number of men and with a word, lifted his right hand.

With a cry of pain, they all fell forward as if a great force of gravity had slammed into their backs. Talon's lips curled, revealing his lengthened fangs. The Gahiji robbers whimpered at the sight of them. They knew now he was the cold person rumored to have come to their country for metal.