Chapter Three

Walking along the sand dunes of the hot Katari desert, Kahlia's feet were bare as the hot sand felt more comforting than painful to her. Her eyes roamed over the rolling hills of golden sand with its hidden depths of shadows. She yearned for such freedom in her own country, and now here, in this foreign place, she had gained it.

The wind whipped up, causing the scarf that covered her lower face to shake, making the little bells that had been sewn into the edge jangle in a low musical tone.

Her eyes searched the broad blue sky for a wisp of cloud. As she moved along the top of the dune, she smiled when she heard the noise of a loud screech.

A shadow flew over her, its broad wings spread wide. She lifted her eyes to see it but shaded them from the bright sun. Lifting her right arm, she raised it. "Will you not come to me, Kartush?"

Kartush was a large falcon. His grey feathers had been dyed at the tail a reddish color to denote he belonged to the royal family. She held her breath as he came close, his broad wings covering her completely.

"Kartush!" she called once more as he descended. She worried that he would land on the ground ignoring her completely as he'd done several times before. So, she whispered a silent prayer this time, closing her eyes slightly against her negative thought that he wouldn't come.

But suddenly, her leather bound right arm felt heavy and she pulled her head back to not be hit by his wings. She laughed aloud. "You've finally come to me!" She lightly brushed her finger under his beak, as he made chirping sounds and clucked. He was heavy, but she would gladly handle the weight.

"Princess!"

Hearing her name, Kahlia didn't turn as she knew who it was calling so loudly.

"Princess Kahlia!" With panting breath, a young woman ran up the side of the dune towards Kahlia. Her panting could be heard sprinkled liberally through her continuous calling for princess Kahlia.

Kahlia, after making endearing noises to Kartush, slowly lowered her arm and jerked it up to release the falcon once again into the air. Reveling in his flight, she finally turned to face the exhausted young woman. "Fi! How did you manage to find me? I'm pretty sure I bribed Abi to watch my bedroom door."

"Princess Kahlia!" Fi snapped, snapping straight, her dark brown eyes narrowed on Kahlia. "You cannot, no," she said with a shake of her head. "You mustn't leave the palace alone."

"I much prefer it if you called me Bird," Kahlia said. Kahlia, or more so Bird, had been brought to this country in a coma. She awakened to an entirely new world. Saved from the cruel hand of the Wellings, she'd awoken to a mother, a father and an entire kingdom. Honestly, she was having a bit of trouble getting used to the idea of no longer being a servant, and now owning one...or two, if one counted her bodyguard.

Thinking of her bodyguard, she looked around Fi. Not seeing the solemn male, she blinked. "And where is Dua?"

Dua was a large solemn man, who'd suffered from a fire years ago. The left side of his face was completely burned. He'd originally been a gladiator, a fighter on the streets of Rome. Not much was known about his background, but his pale skin and dark brown hair were noticeable. Despite the heat of the sun, his skin never grew darker. His eyes that he allowed them to see were a rusty-burnish color. He'd been purchased by her father the minute she'd returned and was given to her to protect her from those who'd wished to harm her.

Bird couldn't think of who would wish to harm her, as she was a bit of a surprise to everyone. But she chose to be understanding and learn the ways of her people.