007||Raphael Varane

PHOTOGRAPHER

PHOTOGRAPHER

-requested!-

THE MORNING HAD just begun and the sounds of the stadium were already filling the air, the chatter of the players and the staff echoing throughout the corridors. I was in one of the staff rooms, waiting for the director to come along and provide me with some instructions regarding the events to come.

 I had been told that today would include some media photoshoots, and that i would be volunteering to take some pictures of the players, but for now i leaned back against the counter and sipped my coffee, not wanting to let my mind wander too much.

My thoughts were interrupted by the sound of footsteps approaching, and i turned my head to see the director entering the room, a clipboard held tightly in his hands.

He looked at me, his face blank as he approached. "good morning," he said, "we're all set for the day ahead," he looked at his notes, "we'll need you in the locker room, and then later on the pitch for some promo shots."

"okay, no problem" i replied, taking my final sip of my coffee.

"i'd say just about an hour should do and you should be finished by then, after that we'll need you in the stands for some crowd shots, and we'll finish up with pictures of the boys in action. you can head to the locker room now and get started." he informed.

"got it, thank you"

I left the main room and walked down the hall towards the locker room, thoughts of the day ahead filling my mind, the pressure of wanting nothing more but for the day to go smoothly had gotten to me ever since i'd arrived. I could hear the players talking and laughing, and as i approached the slightly open door, noticing that they were sitting in small groups, in each corner.

I entered the room, feeling out of place among the players, and made my way to the table in the corner. I started arranging my equipment, organizing the cameras and changing the batteries on the flash.

The players continued their conversations, not really paying me any attention as i worked but after a few minutes of quiet preparation i was ready to take the first shot of the day.

A member of staff walked in as if on que and informed them that they'd get started with the photoshoot then took a seat next to me as he held the list of players. "first up, casemiro, need you to stand by your locker please."

As the first player completed their shot I moved on quickly to the next name. I took two close up portraits of each player, one just a simple facial shot, and the other one with the player's name and shirt on display in the background. 

The players all obliged to get in their spots quickly, they were used to these types of sessions, and it was easy to complete this portion of the photoshoot in no time.

We'd managed to finish just before the players had to return out to the training pitch so i had a few moments to compose myself before heading out. It wasn't something easy to relax while being in a room full of celebrities, constantly reminding myself to make sure i'd get the best shots.