Chapter Four: Can't Forget You

Arden Acquisition

Chapter Four: Can't Forget You

“You should be ashamed!” She yells, going in for another assault to my shoulder. I easily sidestep her, however, used to Michiko’s easily-altered personality. You’d have to be on guard with her, that’s all. “You didn’t even say goodbye!”

“I didn’t have much of a choice,” I shrug. “I was to get my stuff, and leave. Anko wouldn’t have it any other way.”

“You could have left a note!” It’s not noticeable, but I cringe. 

Suddenly, my voice is quieter. “Is that how you would have liked me to have said goodbye, Michiko? A worthless piece of paper to show how impersonal it would have been?”

Michiko’s eyes grow as she’s realized what she has said. But, being as stubborn as the girl is, she didn’t drop it. 

“It could have had a sentimental meaning! At least that way I would have known you thought about me; cared enough to leave something behind! You could have at least tried to keep in touch!”

“Whatever.”

Kasumi yawns besides us, lazily resting her arms behind her head. “Before you two start bitching again, Anko wanted me to tell you that we train tomorrow, as a team. But, as for today, she says to do whatever.”

Michiko’s brows furrow, “You’re Kasumi?”

“Yeah?”

“Somehow, I imagined you to be prettier.”

~          ~         ~

My heart clenched, my palms were sweaty. My stomach ached. 

I don’t know what I had expected to find. Another note, maybe? Sasuke, perhaps? But, there was nothing here. Nothing I hadn’t of left behind. 

Absent-mindedly, my hand found the ripped piece of paper I always kept in my pocket, tracing its thin, worn edges. 

I’m sorry. 

The musty smell of the apartment wafted up to my nose, the smell of the Uchiha long gone. Nothing of him lingered, making me doubt if he ever really did live here. With me. 

Or, if he even existed. 

Good luck. 

But, of course he did. The old team seven picture was there to prove it. Kakashi. Sakura. Naruto. Sasuke. Me. 

Sasuke Uchiha 

He may not be here, but the memory of Sasuke was imprinted into me. His onyx-colored eyes, the burn marks he would sometimes receive on his hands, raven-colored hair; his calloused fingertips against my cheek, the comfort he gave me, stolen kisses. 

Sasuke knelt down besides me, taking my hand in his. Then, carefully bringing it up to his face, Sasuke rested his cheek into my palm. Sasuke was never the one for words. But, when we were alone, he was different. Like some of the weight he’d been burdened with was lifted from his shoulders. 

Like, he was okay with just being Sasuke; not the Uchiha prodigy who survived the massacre. Just Sasuke. 

And, I was okay with that. 

I lay down on the bed we used to share, remembering the first time I had woken up next to him. For, the nigh before, I had been crying. And, on some unknown act of kindness, Sasuke had held me. Eventually, I had cried myself to sleep- and he had brought me home with him. 

The next morning, I had given him a black eye. 

The second time, however, it was my nightmares that drove me to him. And, it was my nightmares that kept me with him. 

But, since his…departure, I don’t seem to dream, anymore. All I can see when I close my eyes is his face- the deranged smile, wild eyes. 

Orochimaru’s Sasuke. 

“You’ve been a bad girl, Hitomi.” The voice stopped me. And, for a moment, I almost considered running- to hell with Kasumi’s game. But, then I realized I knew that voice. And, that’s what kept me grounded. 

“What are you doing here?” I hissed. 

“Now, now. Is that any way to treat an old friend?”

“You’re no friend of mine, Kabuto. What the hell do you want?”

The silver-haired boy chuckled. “Relax. Here-” he threw a small vial to me. “Those are for your curse mark.”

With ease, I caught it. “Orochimaru hopes to see you soon, Hitomi.”

I scoff. “Fat chance.”

Slowly, I sit up; pulling out the container Kabuto provided me with. It wasn’t the original, but every time I had run out, he had somehow provided me with more. 

That was the last time I had saw him, however. 

I pull one out, and without a second thought- swallow. Surprisingly, these have helped a lot in the past three years. As long as I’ve had one daily, that is. 

I look inside the bottle: two left. 

!~*~*~**~!

Bowchikawowow. Idek wat to even do. Sorry for the long intervals of not uploading. But idek it’s me, you guise should be used to it ;*

on the side is your lovely hitomi c; drawn by yours truly. you're welcccommmmme