Chapter Twelve: Fireside

Ardent Acquistition 

Chapter Twelve: Fireside

The edge of his fingertips traced the line of my cheekbone, just barely drifting under the bone. I could feel my eyelids beginning to flutter shut, in anticipation for the oncoming kiss. In hopes that our lips, would once again, meet. His other hand threaded through my fingers, his long appendages shooting waves of electricity through my body. Making me feel as if, for the first time in three years, I was awake and alert.

I could feel his breath hitting against my lips.

“Sasuke,” I murmured, his name clawing at the hole in my chest, his very essence sinking into my skin and poisoning me.

After what felt like an eternity, our lips met in a frenzied kiss. I could feel him step closer to me, drawing me into him further, just enough until I couldn’t tell us apart, anymore. And I felt whole. I felt like an entire person, free of any past turmoil. Sasuke’s mouth breathed life back into my body, only to tear it away again when he stepped away.

His black, fathomless eyes held nothing.

When we were together, I felt as if it were just that. Us, together as one. There was no he and I. But, looking at him now, I couldn’t even tell if that one, small, tiny, inconsequential kiss meant anything.

His jaw twitched underneath smooth pallor skin as he stepped away from me. “I shouldn’t have done that,” his voice came as a single-shard whisper to my still beating heart. His eyes, cold, dark orbs darted around the room. He seemed agitated.

“I’m sorry,” I whispered. I wanted to disappear. I wanted to draw myself away from everyone, and to sink into myself, like I had done so many nights before. After all of that time, doing my damnedest to bring back the hatred I held for this Uchiha back in the Academy, telling myself I didn’t love him, and it all came crashing down around me with one touch. I could feel my heart stutter when his gaze shot back to me. Each beat branding his name into my chest.

I could feel him studying my face, taking in my features. I could feel Sasuke readying himself to leave me, again. “Please don’t.”

“Hm?”

“Please don’t leave me again, Sasuke.” He took another step back.

“I can’t promise that, Hitomi.”

I took a step closer. “Then, let me come with you!” I’d follow you anywhere.

His laugh was more of a derisive snort. “And then what? Become a criminal, too? Most wanted? Do you really think I’d let that happen?” I could feel myself reaching out to him the further he tried to pull away from me. But with those words, I was sure he cared. It made me want to fight for him more. Harder than I ever had before.

“Let me help you, Sasuke!” What was meant to be persuasive came out as an unstable cry. “You can’t just make me love you and then leave me. You can’t do that.” I could feel the tears threatening to spill down my cheeks, choking me. And for all that I was worth, I couldn’t hold them back.

“You’re right,” he nodded. “I can’t keep doing this.” I felt his lips press to my forehead once more. And then he was gone.

 “Sasuke!”I could feel the panic rising in my chest. “Sasuke!”

Sasuke Uchiha had, once again, vanished from my life.

*

His touch was a brand burned into my skin. His kiss was like a burning hot ember forcing its way down my throat and into my chest, setting me aflame. His burning, passionate gaze was the only thing that kept me warm.

But all of that was gone, now.

I clutched the second, newly scribbling not in my fist, staring blankly at the wall in front of me. It was like the first time he had left, all over again. But there was a finality that rung in the air, clinging to the memory of Sasuke’s second departure. The last kiss he was leave me with, I was sure.

Everything I had worked for in the past three years had crumbled into dust at his very touch, leaving behind the scar of a thirteen year old girl. A whimpering, pathetic genin.

I may be stronger, now. Older. But I was just as pathetic. I was still hung up over the Sasuke Uchiha who had left his village in the wake of his older brother, in hopes of betrayal. He left his village behind him, without even a backward glance. He left me without once reconsidering it.

Carefully, I folded the second note into the other, placing it atop the dresser next to my own.

Hitomi,

I’m not sure what we are—were, but that’s done now. Don’t expect to see me, again. Not for a while. I won’t be coming back on my own, or otherwise. Someone else will be delivering your medicine now on.

Sasuke Uchiha

Unlike Sasuke’s, my note held the bitter tears of regret and betrayal splayed across the letters, smearing it in some places. I tried not to think about it, however, as I packed my things.

Sasuke didn’t want me to go with him, fine. He didn’t want me, fine.

But, one thing still remained, the promise I made to myself: I would bring Sasuke Uchiha back to Konoha. I’m stronger now than I ever was. And, it was about time I displayed that strength on my, now, ex-boyfriend.

!~*~*~*~!

Sorry! Wow! I didn’t realize it had been three months! But, things are about to get heated, as you can see. *wink wink*

I seem to see a lot of controversy in the comments so: NaruHito or SasuHito ??? (; nothing is set in stone, yet!