Chapter Ten: Ironic

Ardent Acquisition 

Chapter Ten: Ironic

It was a strange thing, I think. Feeling Naruto’s lips firmly pressed against my own. He had always been warm, I knew that. And, when we were pressed together in this way, the warmth was more prominent. And, for some reason, more pleasant. 

Another thing was how different this was — kissing someone other than Sasuke. The way Naruto seemingly massaged my lips with his was fine, enjoyable, even. But, different. I felt as though no matter how many times I actually did kiss this boy, I would never actually be used to it. Not really. 

He was slow, clumsy. And, even though it was evident that he didn’t exactly know what he was doing, it was nice. Naruto’s lips mimicked my own, and soon, we fell into an easy pattern. 

Well, until his tooth snagged my bottom lip, that was. 

“Oh!” He exclaimed, wide blue eyes staring at me. “I’m sorry! Are you okay?” I softly giggled, touching the slightly swollen appendage to make sure there wasn’t any blood. There wasn’t. 

Quickly, I pecked his mouth again before laying on his chest. 

“I’m fine, now, Naruto.” My voice was soft. And, for once, I was content. I didn’t think of the consequences that would come from this, and for now, I didn’t care. Because, at the moment, Naruto’s heart was still racing; and if I looked up, I would still see the red that dusted his cheeks, almost like a freshly bloomed rose. 

“Hitomi?”

“Hm?” I lazily murmured, suddenly exhausted. Wouldn’t it have been lovely, if this is how it was from the beginning? If instead of Sasuke, my heart would go erratic for Naruto? If instead, my stomach would do those little flips for the blonde boy in my arms? If perhaps, this is how it could be?

“What about Sasuke? You lo — Don’t you lov—”

“Naruto.”

“Yes?”

“Shut up. For once, shut up, okay?”

And he did. He was quiet, and I let my eyelids droop, feeling his fingers run gently through my hair. By now, his heart had slowed some, beating a soft-tempo melody that I was so used to falling asleep to. 

This is what I wanted. Peace. To be held and not having to worry about my boyfriend leaving me. I wanted to be important to someone. That’s what I wanted. 

But, could I ever actually have it? Could I actually enjoy it without Sasuke being the boy holding me?

"You’re mine. And, Hitomi, you always will be.”

~            ~               ~

I paced, Michiko’s lingering gaze feeling much like a knife yet to pierce my back. She told me her story, now it was my turn. But, how? How could I tell her?

I sighed, eventually opting to sit down next to her. Her gaze was steady, and for as calm as he was, she made me feel unstable. 

“I think I might have done a terrible thing. But to who — or what it is, I’m not sure, yet.”

“You can tell me, yeah? After all that you’ve gone through for me — I’ll understand, whatever it is. I promise.” I sighed, nodding. 

Michiko’s eyes had always been a pretty red. Like a ruby, reflecting an even brighter color. And, in all the time I’ve known her, never have those eyes ever been hostile. They had always been kind. And, that, of all things, is what had made me trust her. 

“I saw Sasuke.” I paused, waiting for a reaction — but the young girl had just continued staring. Waiting. “H-he told me I would always be his.”

And, above all things, Michiko smiled. She didn’t batter me with questions, or even scold me. Michiko was, as she promised, understanding. Although, in a different way than I had been expecting. Or, maybe, what I had been hoping for. 

“Well, see! That’s perfect! He still cares, see!” 

I frowned, taking in a deep breath. Maybe it wasn’t that Sasuke cared. Maybe it was just that he wanted to own me, instead. “I-uh…I s-sort of told him I’m dating Naruto.”

If she didn’t freak out the last time, I was at least expecting her to do so, this time. But, she didn’t. Instead, she nodded. “Keeping him on his toes, that’s good. Maybe he’ll fight for you when he comes back.”

“I kissed Naruto, last night.” Somehow, this was the easiest to confess. There was a slight flutter in my chest as I remembered how clumsy he had been, and how much I had actually enjoyed it. 

“Well….you don’t — you don’t have feelings for him, do you?” 

!~*~*~*~*~!

Wow oops. Needs editing. And better writing. Has it been long? I cant remembered. Sorry. It’s summer and I’m a bit out of it. I’m not sure what day it is, anymore. And, I’m pretty sure I have my nights and days mixed up. Dhat introvert, computer addict life .