Chapter Six: Michiko's Confession

Ardent Acquisition 

Chapter Six: Michiko’s Confession 

The next day came, and went. Neither girl showed any sign of what happened between them the day prior. And, when asked about their sparring session, neither seemed willing to talk about it. 

Training that day was awkward, and slow. Although, I wasn’t quite for certain if it was because this was our first time practicing as a team, and we just weren’t used to each other; or because of what happened yesterday. 

And, when it was finally over, both girls went their separate ways. Anko left without saying much, grumpily rubbing at her eyes. 

I found myself trailing behind Michiko. 

“So…” I let my voice trail off, feeling a bit odd to be caught in teenage drama. Or, anything other than training, really. It all felt prepubescent- juvenile. But, it was how teenagers dealt with things. I think. 

I never really was good dealing with things. 

“How’d you’re spar with Kas-”

“Fine.” She replied, a bit too quickly. I noticed the pigment in her skin was a bit more rosier than it usually was. 

“Nothing…interesting happened?” Michiko stopped, turning around to glare at me. 

“You were watching us?”

“I-I..” Michiko grit her teeth, jaw clenched. She looked about ready to throw a tantrum. And, with a huff, she crossed her arms over her chest, using a bit more force than what was really necessary. 

“It’s not fair! I don’t even know what happened! I was finally able to confess to Gaara, and then this happens?” Michiko let out another sound of frustration, jutting out her lower lip. 

Sometimes I even wonder if she’s grown. 

But, then something hit me. “You confessed to Gaara? When?”

The girl sighed, pulling me to a nearby tree so we could sit and talk without interruptions. I readied myself for a long story, and a day wasted.

~           ~           ~

As anticipated, it took Michiko some time telling her story. One that made my stomach clench. 

Gaara had been taken by the Akatsuki and had lost his Bijuu. 

Sakura had actually managed to kill a member of the organization. 

My throat felt dry as I stumbled through the apartment door. 

“Naruto!” I called, knowing her would be home by now. Naruto had told me about Sasuke, but why had he failed to mention his encounter with the Akatsuki?

“They…they want Naruto. He never told me why, but I think you should talk to him. It seems important.”

“Naruto!” I yelled again, only with a bit more ferocity. I was angry. I was scared. I was worried. And, Naruto had been hiding things from me. 

Sleepily, the boy stumbled into the kitchen, lazily rubbing at his eye. It was obvious he had been sleeping, for he was only clad in boxers and had just come home from a mission. But, none of that mattered to me at the moment. 

“Hitomi?” He sounded confused. “Is everything all right?”

“Why didn’t you tell me the Akatsuki was after you, Naru-kun?” My voice grew noticeably softer, his innocent expression making me feel guilty for yelling at him, before. 

“I-huh? Oh. That.” He yawned, seating himself down at the little rounded table- the surface littered with old instant ramen cups. “It’s nothing to worry about, really. I’m fine.”

“Naruto, I need you to tell me why. What are you hiding from me?”

The boy’s expression darkened, his calloused hand threading through the blonde disarray atop his head. “Hitomi- you used to have dreams about me. What were they about, exactly?”

A lump formed in my throat. 

“I- that’s not important.”

“You dreamed of me being a monster, didn’t you?”

I was quiet. 

“They weren’t far from the truth, you know. The dreams, I mean.”

“Naruto, you’re not-”

“When I was a baby, the nine-tailed fox attacked the village. He almost destroyed it. Hitomi, I-I….I am the nine-tailed fox.”

The room was silent, aside from the heavy thumping of my heartbeat in my ears. 

Naruto. Nine-tails. Monster. Naruto. 

“I u-understand if you don’t want to be a-around me, anymore.”

He stood up. And, before he had the chance to say anything more, my arms were firmly wrapped around his neck- a sob stuck in my throat. But, I wouldn’t cry. Not now. 

“I love you, Naruto.”

He was hesitant. But, after what felt like eternity, he returned the embrace. 

“I love you, too, Hito-chan.”

!~*~*~*~*~*! 

I knooooooow it’s gonna be, I knooooooow it’s gonna be-whoahohohohhhhhhhhhh

Oh, Ellie Goulding, you. Sorry. Moment. 

Anywhoooo, I’m putting a cute little picture of Michiko on the side because she’s cuuuuuute c: I think my parents are home… Oh well. Summer in exactly O N E M O N T H . You know what that means? PAR-TAY

jk. Sims. :*