Chapter 11 - Not So Bad

"You know, not a very convincing interrogation scene," Husker chimes in from behind the bar.

"Alright dickhead," Angel scoffs. "What makes you think you have any right to insult my work to my fucking face?"

"You really gonna sit there and act like these scripts ain't hot garbage?" Husker washes some glasses as he speaks.

Angel gasps. "Fuck you. This is classy art," he motions to the TV.

"That's bullshit. You get drunk and bitch about them all the time. Everyone likes to bitch to the bartender. I know everything about you and these motherfuckers at this point. That one," he points to Sir Pentious. "That one is an insecure buffoon whose lonely ass watches you idiots sleep," he then motions to Charlie. "Princess is a bleeding heart who wants to solve everybody else's problems except her own."

"What? No, I- what? Pfft, no," Charlie waves her hands in the air in a dismissive manner.

Husker motions to Vaggie. "This one judges everyone and everything because she hates herself," Vaggie lets out a groan of anger.

Husker motions to Quin, but before he has a chance to speak, Quin stares daggers into him.

"You're a train wreck who gets high to avoid all his problems." Quin is pissed at his comment, maybe because it's too true. "And Nifty? Shit, you don't even wanna know what her deal is."

Angel laughs. "You weren't kidding. Wow, kitten's got claws," he puts his hands on Husker's face seductively. "Mrow~"

Husker pushes him off. "And you! Don't get me started. I see right through you and all this bullshit and how fake you are."

Angel laughs again. "Oh, me, fake? Wow. I had no idea," his words ooze sarcasm. "Guess that's why I'm an actor, dumbass. And-" Angel is interrupted by his phone going off. "Hold that thought."

"Hello?" His tone is incredibly different now. "Uh, yeah, I-I'm," his body language also shifts. He looks, scared. "No, no, I just, I..." after a bit more stuttering, Angel finishes the call by saying "I'll be right there."

"Well, uh, looks like Val needs me for an, uh, emergency shoot!" Angel starts walking out the door.

"Uh huh, sure," Husker takes a swig out of his bottle.

"You know what? Fuck you," Quin's never heard Angel's voice sound like this before. "I don't give a shit what some drunk ass bartender think of me. So why don't you just crawl back to whatever cave you came from, porn critic." Angel words oozed with hostility. Husker growls at him. Angel turns and starts to leave whenever Charlie blocks the door.

"Angel! You can't leave yet. We haven't finished our exercises for the day," Charlie makes an attempt to get him to stay.

"I'm sure you'll manage without me," He puts on his flavorful glasses and pushes Charlie aside.

"There isn't much time left for the hotel to prove itself-"

"Dollface, it's my job," Angle leans down and puts his hand on her shoulder. "I know you want to fix everything, but unless you can fix my boss, there's nothing you can do." Angel walks out and slams the door.

Quin can hear Charlie and Vaggie talking, but he doesn't bother to listen. He looks around to the rest of the group. "So, does this mean we're done for the day?"

"Uh, I guess so?" Sir Pentious looks at Quin with an unsure expression.

"Welp, I'm heading back upstairs," Quin heads back up to his room. He shoots Angel a text.

Hey, is everything okay? - Sent just now

He lays down, his head still throbbing. Fuck. He lets out a sigh. He rolls over. Soon after, he ends up dozing off.

...

He gets up and goes to work. After his show, he comes back to the hotel. They didn't need him at Valentino's studio today, thank god. Quin doesn't know how much bullshit he could tolerate today. He sits down at the bar, asking Husker for a drink. Husker complies in silence. 

Quin sits there for a while, casually drinking and playing on his phone. He doesn't really feel like getting high right now. 

Angel finally responds to his text.

Yeah. - Just now

Quin doesn't entirely believe him, but if Angel doesn't want to talk, there's no forcing him. What exactly is his relationship with Val? I'm sure it's toxic, but just how exactly? Quin thinks back to that call he heard from Angel's room. 

"You actually think you can change? Addict trash like you doesn't change."

Quin's heart sinks once more. Although he wasn't a victim of physical abuse, he still fell victim to emotional abuse. He's not sure what all Angel's having to deal with, but he knows at least from that phone call that Valentino is abusing him. Despite not having experienced it himself, someone very close to him did. Watching that abuse destroy someone he cares about truly pained him. Quin clenches his fist. 

"Another drink, please," Quin stares at Husker. He's getting this weird feeling that somehow Husker was in his bedroom last night. He has this memory he just can't place. Husker makes him the drink and slides it over to him. Wait, how did I even get home last night? Quin now finds himself in a state confusion and slight panic. And why were my clothes folded like that? I usually just throw them in the basket and call it good. Quin looks at Husker again.

"What are you looking at?" Husker seems to be running low on patience today.

"Did you, did you help me last night?" Quin just outright asks. He can't figure out a better way to phrase it and the intrigue is killing him.

Husker stares at Quin for a second. "Yeah, don't think much of it. Just couldn't stand to see someone who couldn't even make it up the damn stairs by themselves."

Quin doesn't know how to react at first. "Thank you," Quin looks away from Husker. Husker is silent for a moment.

"You're welcome," Husker turns around and starts cleaning bottles. 

You know, maybe this place isn't so bad.