17. Sophie's POV

"Alright, I'm going to walk the two of you through this step-by-step. The first thing that you need to do is completely wipe your minds blank. Yes Sophie, it's hard for you, but try your best, and no, I'm not in your head, I just know you." Tiergan watched Sophie and Fitz intently as they closed their eyes and tried to clear their heads.

"After you've done this to the best of your ability, you're each going to grab one of my hands."

"Wait, we're giving you an Enhancement? Also, should I use my Enhancing ability? It sounds like we'll need as much power as we can muster for this." Sophie rattled off her questions to Tiergan, who answered them in stride.

"Yes to both of your questions, Sophie. The Council felt that, given the amount of problems the Elvin world is facing right now, that level of mental clarity is vital to helping us move forward as much and as quickly as possible. They also felt that, since attempting an Enhancement can be very mentally grueling, for both the people attempting it and the subject, I should be the one that you two try it on."

"How hard is it?" Fitz asked.

"Not important. I need you to focus on what I'm telling you to do, and if you do that, we'll be fine." Tiergan countered, waiting until Fitz and Sophie each grabbed one of his hands before telling them the next step.

"Now, imagine something extremely strong, like... a hammer. Then, picture it slamming into my consciousness, and when you slam the hammer down, enter my mind. Be warned, you will feel an aftershock from that amount of power. After doing so, imagine something like a bomb, exploding in a burst of light in my head, then a black hole, taking away that same light. Finally, you have to whisper words of encouragement, not directly to my consciousness, but to my subconscious." Tiergan paused to let the directions sink in.

"I understand that this all sounds very abstract, but the Council assured me that if you do these things, I'll get a burst of mental clarity like nothing before. The more focused you are on this assignment, the longer that mental clarity will last.

"Now, please go on three."

"One." Sophie and Fitz closed their eyes again.

"Two." Tiergan closed his eyes, probably hoping that this went well.

"Three!"

Just like he said, Sophie slammed her consciousness into Tiergan's like a mallet, and Fitz did the same. On impact, they entered Tiergan's mind, which reverberated with the force of their blow.

After taking a second to adjust to the ripples of power flowing through Tiergan's mind, Sophie imagined a huge supernova, ready to explode. She pushed the image into Tiergan's mind.

After Fitz put a bomb next to Sophie's supernova, she combined the two and put a ten second timer on the object. Fitz understood what Sophie was trying to do, and he mentally stepped farther away from the explosive. Sophie stepped back with him, and after a few seconds...

BOOM!

Tiergan's mind exploded with a blinding burst of light that burned into Sophie's consciousness. She took a second to adjust, then asked Fitz, Are you okay?

I'm fine. He answered. Let's keep going before we lose too much light.

Still adjusting, it took Sophie's mind a couple of extra seconds to conjure up the image of a black hole and project it into Tiergan's mind. To Sophie's relief, Fitz took even longer. At least I wasn't the only one affected.

Can you focus, please?!

Darn. Sophie kept forgetting that Fitz could hear her thoughts. But he was right. She needed to focus.