Chapter 7 - Guardians of the Galaxy

Seraphina leads the way, the others right behind her. She sighs as Nebula and Ronan's men quickly pursue them. She groans when the pods begin targeting her own, knowing Nebula must have a scanner. 

She tries to separate from the others, but they stay close, especially Gamora. Sighing again, she accepts they're not gonna let her and focuses on dodging the shots fired at her. 

Gamora does her best to protect her sister, but there's not much she can do while they focus on not getting hit. She watches Peter rip the top off one of Ronan's and take control of it, shooting some of the enemies chasing them. 

He turns around to follow them, watching as they pin Seraphina's pod against the wall. Gamora tries to help, but the others block her.

"I'm not going to make it to the Milano. I have to get the Orb out of here." Seraphina tells the others as she frees herself and heads out of Knowhere.

"No!" Gamora yells as her pod is hit just right to disable the thrusters, leaving her behind.

"Wait! These things aren't meant to go out there." Peter tells her, ditching the shell of the other ship to chase them faster.

"I don't have another choice." She replies, dodging shots until she hears Nebula.

"I'm disappointed, Phi. I didn't think you'd fall for Gamora's lies. I didn't want to have to do this, but you leave me no choice." She says.

"You have a choice, Neb. You know that if Ronan gets the stone he's killing everyone." Seraphina argues.

"Not all. You will already be dead." She replies and fires.

"Neb, please-" She's cut off as her pod is destroyed, launching her into space. 

"Goodbye, Sister." Nebula says. She takes the Orb and leads Ronan's force away.

"Quill, come on. Her body mods should keep her alive a couple more minutes, but there's nothing we can do for her. These pods aren't meant to be out here. In a second, we're gonna be in the same boat." Rocket tells him. He turns and starts flying back towards Knowhere.

"Aw, damn it." Peter curses.

"Quill?" He asks, turning back to face him.

"Yondu! Yondu. This is Quill! My coordinates are 227K324." He says as Rocket rejoins him.

"Quill, what are you doing?" He asks.

"Just outside Knowhere. If you're there, come get me. I'm all yours." Peter finishes. He activates his helmet and opens the pod door. Using his jetboots to reach Seraphina, he wraps his arms around her, careful not to touch her wings.

"Quill, don't be ridiculous. Get back into your pod! You can't fit two people in there. You're gonna die." Rocket tells him.

Peter ignores him and removes his helmet, placing it behind her ear. It activates and she gasps after a moment as her lungs fill. 

Rocket watches as they're taken by the ravagers before rushing back to get Gamora.

***

Seraphina gasps awake, finding Peter hovering over her, doing his best to avoid touching her wings spread across the floor under them.

"Peter? Where are we? What happened?" She asks, looking around and trying to figure out where they are. She focuses back on him as he cups her face.

"I saw you out there. I don't know what came over me. But I couldn't let you die. I found something inside of myself." He whispers. Seraphina wraps her arms around him and buries her face in his neck as she shakes her head. "Something incredibly heroic. I mean, not to brag, but objectively-" He's cut off as she chuckles and pulls back to look at him. She grows serious as she studies his face, her hand coming up to cup his cheek.

"Peter, there's something important I need to tell you." She tells him. Before she can tell him, the door opens, a group of Ravagers pointing their guns at them.

"Welcome home, Peter." One of them says.

***

"You betray me?" Yondu asks, punching Peter. "Steal my money?" He hits him again.

"Leave him alone! I'll kill you all!" Seraphina yells, struggling to free herself. Each of her arms are held by two men, her wings chained together. 

"When I picked you up as a kid, these boys wanted to eat you. They ain't never tasted Terran before. I saved your life!" He continues, ignoring her.

"Oh, will you shut up about that? God! Twenty years, you been throwing that in my face, like it's some great thing, not eating me. Normal people don't even think about eating someone else! Much less that person having to be grateful for it!" Peter replies. "You abducted me, man. You stole me from my home and from my family."

"You don't give a damn about your Terra! You're scared because you're soft in here. Here, right here!" Yondu shouts, hitting his own chest before Peter's.

"Yondu, listen to me, you moron! Ronan just stole something called an Infinity Stone." She tells him.

"I know what he's got, girl." He replies.

"Then you know we need to get it back. He'll destroy the galaxy, starting with Xandar. We have to warn them, there are billions of lives at stake!" She says.

"Is that what she's been filling your head with, boy? Sentiment?" Yondu scoffs. The Ravagers laugh as he slaps Peter. "Eating away at your brain like maggots! Don't you know she's the Angel of Death?"

Before any of the men can react, Seraphina's ripped her arms free and broken the chains around her wings. She rushes across the room, grabbing Yondu and pinning him up against the wall by his throat.

"Don't call me that." She tells him, glaring at him. She hears Ravagers trying to approach and lifts him higher. "I will snap his neck if any of you take another step towards me." Yondu whistles and his arrow flies out of its holster and presses into Peter's throat. 

"Who do you think is faster? Wanna find out?" He taunts. Seraphina glares at him as she lowers him to the floor. The men grab her again as he laughs. "I'll kill him first, then you."

"If you kill me now, you are saying goodbye to the biggest score you have ever seen." Peter says. Yondu turns to face him.

"The stone? I hope you got something better than that. Because ain't nobody stealing from Ronan." He replies.

"We got a ringer." He tells him.

"Is that right?" He asks.

"She knows everything there is to know about Ronan. His ships, his army." He says, looking to Seraphina.

"He's vulnerable." She replies.

"Hey, what do you say, Yondu, huh? Me and you, taking down a mark side-by-side, like the old days." Peter tells him. Yondu whistles and the arrow returns to its holster. He laughs and the others follow his lead.

"Let her go!" He tells the men holding her. He grabs Peter as the men let Seraphina go. She glares at them and they quickly back away, tripping over their feet in their rush. "You always did have a scrote, boy! That's why I kept you on as a young'un."

The ship lurches and Seraphina sighs, knowing it can mean nothing good.