Chapter 9 - Guardians of the Galaxy

"This is a terrible plan." Gamora says.

"Hey, you're the one who said you wanted to die among friends." Peter replies.

Seraphina tightens her grip on her seat as they fly towards Ronan's ship. They stop and the two ships fire but are blocked by a shield. The fleet flies under it.

"Rocket, hurry!" Peter tells him. Rocket and his team fly straight to the ship, starting to shoot a hole in the side of the ship. The Ravagers begin fighting Ronan's fleet as they emerge from the ship. Ronan's ship begins moving.

"Quill! Yondu! Now!" Rocket calls, letting them know that they made the opening. Peter leads the way, but Yondu's ship is hit, and he begins falling.

"There are too many of them, Rocket! We'll never make it up there!" Gamora says. Suddenly the ships around them are destroyed as the Nova arrive.

"Peter Quill. This is Denarian Saal of the Nova Corps For the record, I advised against trusting you here." The man announces.

"They got my dick message!" He exclaims, making Seraphina laugh.

"Prove me wrong." Saal tells him.

Peter flies them through the opening Rocket made, the ship scratching the walls. Drax laughs loudly even as the soldiers inside shoot at them. Peter swings the ship around, shooting the men.

"Yes!" Drax cheers when they're dead and the ship has stopped.

"What is wrong with him?" Seraphina mutters as they unbuckle and head towards the door. She and Gamora lead the way, familiar with Ronan's ship.

"I can barely see." Drax says.

"Oh, wow." Seraphina gasps as bioluminescent spores grow from Groot's raised arm.

"When did you learn to do that?" He asks.

"Pretty sure the answer to that is 'I am Groot'." Peter replies.

"They're beautiful." Seraphina tells Groot. She holds her hands out and a few spores land on her arms and hands and tangle in her hair. The glow of the spores illuminates her gold skin and white hair. She laughs and smiles at Groot, completely oblivious to the way Peter looks at her like she's the most beautiful woman he's ever seen. 

Gamora, on the other hand, does notice. She nudges him to get his attention, then silently mimes killing him if he breaks her sister's heart. His eyes widen and he quickly takes a step away from her.

"The flight deck is 300 meters this way." Gamora announces and begins leading the way.

"I want you all to know that I am grateful for your acceptance after my blunders. It is pleasing to once again have...friends." Drax says as they walk. "You, Quill, are my friend."

"Thanks." He replies.

"This dumb tree, he is my friend." He continues. Groot hums in agreement. "The assassin, you are my friend." 

"You're my friend too, Drax." Seraphina tells him, patting his shoulder.

"And this green whore, she, too-" He starts to say.

"Oh, you must stop!" Gamora interrupts. Before she can continue, Nebula drops down in front of the group.

"Gamora, Seraphina, look at what you have done." She says, silently grateful that she didn't kill Seraphina. "You two have always been weak. You stupid, traitorous-" Nebula says. She's interrupted as Drax fires, blasting her out of the way.

"Nobody talks to my friends like that." He tells them. Gamora nods at him.

"Head to the flight deck. I'll shut down the power to the security doors." She announces. Seraphina nods and leads the others away.

The run until they round a corner and come face to face with Korath.

"Seraphina. Star-Lord." He greets.

"Finally." Peter says. He and Korath begin fighting while Seraphina, Drax and Groot focus on the other soldiers. Drax notices Peter trapped by Korath and goes after him.

"You will never make it to Ronan." Korath tells them after knocking Drax down. 

Seraphina swoops down and grabs him, slamming him into the wall. She flies up, dragging him against the wall before dropping him to the ground. She dives down and drives her sword into his stomach before tossing him in front of Drax. He pins him to the wall and rips the cybernetic part of his head.

"Finger to the throat means death." He tells him, before dropping his body. "Metaphor." He adds, looking at Peter. Seraphina chuckles as she lands next to them after taking out the last remaining soldiers.

"Yeah, sorta." He replies. "Oh, no." He says, seeing the group approaching.

Groot steps in front of them and extends his arm through the center line of soldiers. He lifts them and slams them into the others until they're all taken out. Peter and Seraphina glance at Drax, who smiles and nods.

When he's finished, Groot turns to them and smiles. They nod at him and continue heading towards the flight deck.

"Quill, you gotta hurry. The city's been evacuated, but we're getting our assess kicked down here." Rocket tells them.

"Gamora hasn't opened the door!" He replies.

"If I know my sisters, they're fighting. Give them a minute." Seraphina sighs. 

They stand by the door and a moment later, it opens. Gamora blasts through the floor ahead of them and they join her. Peter aims the Hadron Enforcer at Ronan and fires. There's an explosion, and dust fills the room, making it impossible to see for a moment.

"You did it!" Drax exclaims.

"Wait." Seraphina says. 

She flaps her wings a few times, clearing the room of dust and revealing Ronan completely unharmed. He raises the Universal Weapon and twists, using the Stone to knock them down. Drax gets back up and rushes him. Ronan easily grabs Drax by the throat and lifts him into the air.

"I was mistaken. I do remember your family. Their screams were pitiful-" He taunts. He's interrupted by Seraphina as she flies towards him and tackles him away from Drax. She flies around him, trying to get close enough as he fires energy at her from the Stone.

She dodges another blast and swings her sword at him. He steps out of the way and swings the hammer at her. It slams into her wing with a loud crack, knocking her out of the air. She lands on the ground next to him and he lifts her into the air, throwing her towards the others.

Before anyone can react, Rocket flies his ship through the window and crashes into Ronan. Gamora tackles Groot out of the way as Peter moves Seraphina. She winces as she pulls herself to her feet.

"How bad is it?" She asks Peter, her right wing hanging limply from her back.

"You want me to look?" He asks. She nods and he leans around her to look. He gags and moves back in front of her. "It's completely broken."

"Rocket!" She gasps, spotting him in the ship. They quickly rush towards the ship and Peter climbs up to grab him. He passes him to Seraphina and climbs down, joining the others as Gamora drags Drax towards them.

The group kneels in a circle, Seraphina cradling Rocket in her lap. Groot glances around, first at his friends, then out the window at the rapidly approaching ground. He takes a deep breath and raises his arms out to his sides.

"Groot?" Seraphina asks as he begins forming a sphere around the group. He doesn't react, focusing on protecting his friends. More spores light up the inside, and branches wrap around the others to help keep them safe.

"No, Groot! You can't." Rocket tells him, climbing off Seraphina's lap and moving in front of his best friend. "You'll die. Why are you doing this? Why?"

Seraphina wipes her eyes as Groot raises a branch to touch Rocket's cheek. Peter holds his hand out to her and she takes it, squeezing his hand as she wipes her tears.

"We are Groot." He tells them.