Chapter 20 - Infinity War

"Hey. Do you two know if these grenades are the blow-off-your-junk kind or the gas kind? Because I was thinking about hanging a couple on my belt right here. But I don't want to if they're the-" Peter says, moving to stand in front of the sisters.

"We need to ask a favor." Gamora interrupts. Seraphina continues staring out the window, hating that they have to ask Peter for this.

"Yeah, sure." He replies.

"One way or another, the path that we're on leads to Thanos." Gamora tells him.

"Which is what the grenades are for." He says. She glares at him. "Uh, I'm sorry. What's the favor?"

"If things go wrong, and Thanos gets one or both of us, we want you to promise us you'll kill us." Seraphina says, turning to face him.

"What?" He asks.

"I know something he doesn't." Gamora tells him and walks past him. "And if he finds it out, the entire universe could be at risk."

"What do you know?" He asks.

"If I tell you, you'd know too." She answers. Peter looks to Seraphina, and she shakes her head, silently telling him she doesn't know either.

"If it's so important, shouldn't we?" He tells her.

"Only if you wanna die." She replies.

"Why does somebody always have to die in this scenario?" Peter scoffs. He turns to Seraphina.

"He'll turn me back into a monster. I can't go back, Peter." She whispers, shaking her head. He approaches her and takes her hands in his. Gamora slips away, knowing her sister will be able to convince her best friend. "Just trust us. And possibly kill us." She tells him.

"I mean, I'd like to. I really would. But you-" He starts to say.

"Peter, please. Promise me." She interrupts. She shakes her head as tears fill her eyes. "Swear to me on your mother."

"Okay." He tells her. She sighs and wraps her arms around him, burying her face in his chest as her tears fall. He holds her tight, rubbing her back as she cries.

Seraphina pulls back and he wipes her tears away before pulling her in for a kiss. They pull away when they hear a loud crunching. They spot Drax standing there, watching them as he snacks on a bag of zarg-nuts.

"Dude. How long have you been standing there?" Peter asks.

"An hour." He answers.

"An hour?" He repeats.

"Seriously?" Seraphina scoffs.

"I've mastered the ability of standing so incredibly still that I become invisible to the eye. Watch." Drax explains. They watch as he slowly raises another zarg-nut towards his mouth.

"You're eating a zarg-nut." Peter says.

"But my movement...was so slow...that it's imperceptible." He tells him.

"Mmm, no." He replies as Seraphina rolls her eyes.

"I'm sure I'm invisible." He says.

"Hi, Drax." Mantis greets as she enters the room.

"Damn it." He curses, walking out of the room. 

Seraphina chuckles and Peter smiles at the sound, brushing her hair away from her face. She looks at him and he pulls her in for another kiss. He pulls away and rests his forehead to hers.

"We're gonna be okay." He assures her.

***

"This place looks deserted." Peter says as they fly through Knowhere.