Chapter 13 - Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2

"I hired Yondu to pick you up when your mother passed away. But instead of returning you, Yondu kept you. I have no clue as to why." Ego explains.

"Well, I'll tell you why. Because I was a skinny little kid who could squeeze into places adults couldn't. It made it easier for thievin;'." Peter replies.

"Well, I've been trying to track you down ever since." He tells him.

"I thought Yondu was your father." Drax says. Seraphina chuckles, passing some of her food to Nebula. 

"What? We've been together this whole time and you thought Yondu was my actual blood relative?" Peter asks.

"You look exactly alike." He replies.

"One's blue!" Rocket exclaims.

"I don't know, I can see the resemblance." Seraphina teases, elbowing Peter. He rolls his eyes and tugs on one of her feathers, knowing it annoys her from having watched Gamora do it to her. She smacks him over the head with her wing, chuckling as he's almost knocked off the log they sit on.

"Gross." Nebula groans, rolling her eyes. Seraphina chuckles at her sister's reaction, poking her side. She growls, turning to glare at her. She chuckles and passes the rest of her food over. Nebula takes the food, grunting in thanks.

"Yondu's not my father. He was the guy who abducted me, kicked the crap out of me so I could learn to fight and kept me in terror by threatening to eat me." Peter tells him, remembering to answer Drax's earlier question.

"Eat you?" Ego repeats.

"Yeah." He confirms.

"Oh, that son of a bitch." He scoffs.

"How'd you locate us now?" Gamora asks.

"Well, even where I reside out past the edge of what's known, we've heard tell about the man they call Star-Lord. And the Angel of Death." He explains. Seraphina glares at him and Peter squeezes her leg.

"She doesn't like that name." He tells him, shaking his head.

"Well, what say we head out there right now? Your associates are welcome. Even that triangle-faced monkey there. I promise you, it's unlike any other place you've ever seen. And there, I can explain your very special heritage. Finally get to be the father I've always wanted to be. Excuse me. I've gotta take a whiz." He says, standing up and heading into the forest. After the comment about him, Rocket begins touching his snout. Seraphina shakes her head, silently assuring him he looks fine.

"I'm not buying it." Peter says, shaking his head as he watches him go.

"Walk with me." Seraphina tells him, yanking him to his feet and dragging him into the forest before he can argue.

"Give me a break! After all this time, you're gonna show up, and all of a sudden you wanna be my dad?" He scoffs, pacing around the clearing they'd found.

"I know it's frustrating-" She starts to say.

"And by the way, this could be a trap, okay. The Kree purists, the Ravagers, they all want us dead." He tells her.

I know, Peter, but-" She replies. 

"But what?" He interrupts.

"That story you told me about Davis Hasselhock, do you remember it?" Seraphina asks.

"Do you mean David Hasselhoff?" He asks. She rolls her eyes.

"Yes. When you were a kid, you carried his picture and told the other children that he was your father, but he was out of town." She says.

"Shooting Knight Rider or touring with his band in Germany. I told you that story when I was half-asleep. Why are you bringing that up now?" He replies.

"It's one of my favorites." She tells him.

"I hate that story. It's so sad! As a kid, I used to see all the other kids, off playing catch with their dad. And I wanted that, more than anything in the world!" He explains.

"Exactly!" She exclaims. "What if he is your father? Do you know how many times I wish I could have gone back to my father instead of being stuck with that monster? You're getting your chance now." She cups his face in her hands, and he sighs. "If it turns out that he's evil, we'll just destroy him." He laughs and she smiles, stroking his cheek. He wraps his arms around her, pulling her into a hug. "We've got this." She assures him, kissing his cheek.

They rejoin the other Guardians, who had all found spots to sleep near the fire. Seraphina spots Nebula and Gamora sleeping near each other with their backs facing each other and chuckles.

"Come on. There's a spot over here." Peter tells her, holding his hand out. She takes it, letting him lead her to the spot he found. She stands back and watches as he prepares the area with blankets and pillows from his room, chuckling when he sits down and pats the blanket next to him.

"Thanks." She says, laying down next to him. He follows her lead, turning onto his side to face her.  "How are you feeling?" She asks.

"I'm fine." He answers. She raises an eyebrow, and he shakes his head. "I'm fine." He repeats.

"I won't press you, but if you want to talk, I'm here." Seraphina tells him. He smiles and pulls her closer.

"I know you are." He assures, tucking her into his chest. She chuckles and covers them with her wing, closing her eyes as she gets comfortable.

"Goodnight, Peter." She says.

"Goodnight, Phi." He replies, kissing the top of her head.

***

"You're leaving me with that fox?" Nebula scoffs.

"He's not a fox." Gamora replies. "Shoot her if she does anything suspicious. Or if you feel like it." She adds to Rocket.

"There will be no shooting each other while we're gone." Seraphina announces, passing Gamora as she says goodbye to Groot.

"Hey. It'll be just a couple of days. We'll be back before Rocket's finished fixing the ship." She explains, smiling at him. 

"Behave. Both of you." Seraphina tells them, making eye contact with both Nebula and Rocket. "You two would be friends if you actually talked to each other, now is the perfect opportunity." They both scoff and roll their eyes in sync. "You just proved my point."

"Leave." Nebula says. She chuckles and follows Gamora out of the ship, carrying her bag.

"What if the Sovereign come?" Drax asks as he and Peter follow them.

"There's no way for them to know we're here. Let's go." He replies.

"I'm uncertain about parting ways." He says.

"God, you're like an old woman." Peter scoffs.

"Because I'm wise?" He asks.

"Why do you have so much luggage?" Gamora asks him as he exits the ship.

"I don't want Groot playing in my things." He answers, making the sisters roll their eyes.

They enter Egos's ship, taking off as soon as the door closes behind them. They set their bags down and start to explore as Mantis puts Ego to sleep. Seraphina places her hand on Peter's shoulder as he looks between the folded picture of David Hasselhoff and Ego.