Chapter 6

Emily’s POV

"When can I start, boss?" I asked.

"You know, I could get used to you calling me that," Chris said with a smirk, and I rolled my eyes.

"You're lucky I need this job," I retorted, pouring myself another glass as Chris chuckled.

"You can start in a week. I need time to set everything up," he answered, and I nodded.

"Alright... see you in a week then, Boss," I said, having him smirking as I tried to get up, but the alcohol pushed me back down to the chair.

"Are you okay to get home by yourself?" Chris asked, trying hard not to laugh.

"I'm fine," I murmured.

"Are you sure though?" he persisted.

"I can handle my alcohol... thank you very much," I replied, struggling to my feet.

"Okay, suit yourself," he laughed, turning away.

Trying to prove I could handle myself, I moved, but dizziness swept over me, and I almost fell.

"I got you," Chris said, holding me before I hit the floor.

"You can't handle your alcohol, so I'm calling you a cab," he insisted.

"I can handle myself, I don't need your help," I argued.

"Yeah right, don’t move. I'll call you a cab," he insisted, leaving and returning soon to help me into the cab, despite my protests.

"It was good to see you again. See you in a week," he whispered with a smile as he closed the car door, and soon the cab was on its way.

I told the driver where I was going and soon drifted off to sleep. That was the last thing I remembered as the rest of the night was a blur.

(*)

I felt a bright light trying to creep into my eyes, disturbing my sleep. Reluctantly, I opened my eyes, welcoming the light even though I didn’t want to.

"Good, you're awake," Layla said, standing by the window.

"Goodness, Layla, I was trying to sleep," I scolded her, blinking against the light.

"Well, it's time to get up," she said with a frown.

I wanted to scream at her, but the intense headache only made me groan as I covered myself with my duvet, trying to block out the light. It didn't help.

Soon, Layla yanked the duvet off me.

"Get up... Now! Emily," she ordered.

"Lower your voice, it's not helping my headache," I scolded her, but she seemed uninterested.

"You deserve that. Why did you go out and get yourself drunk? Do you know where I found you last night?" she yelled, receiving no response from me.

"On the curb, Emily. What were you thinking?" she exclaimed.

"It was just a few drinks," I murmured.

"I thought things would be different now that we're here," Layla said.

"I know... and I'm sorry. I just felt overwhelmed because I hadn’t found a job yet, and I thought a drink would help calm my nerves," I replied, attempting to sit up, but the pain in my head persisted.

"Drink this," she said, handing me a cup of coffee.

"Thanks," I muttered, sipping my drink.

"So, did it help?" Layla asked, sitting beside me.

"No," I answered, and she sighed.

"Alcohol doesn't solve anything. You'll get a job. You just have to be patient," she said, smiling as she held my hand.

"Thanks," I whispered, sipping my coffee again, feeling slightly better.

"Last night was a blur, but I think Chris gave me a job," I said after a few more sips.

Layla looked at me confused, then whispered, "Who is Chris?"

"The bartender," I answered, but she still looked confused.

"Remember the bar we went to with the rude bartender?" I prompted.

"So, that bartender's name is Chris?" she asked, and I nodded.

"Yes, and he gave me a job," I confirmed, and she chuckled.

"Are you still drunk?" she asked.

"No, I'm serious. I sang at the bar, and he offered me a job to sing there every night," I said.

"A bartender gave you a job?" she asked again, seeming incredulous.

"Yeah, and it turns out he owns the bar," I replied.

"Okay, that's good. You finally have a job, even though it's in a bar. You can hold onto this until you find something better," she said, and I nodded.

"So, when do you start?" she asked.

"In a week," I answered.

"Good... I'll be there to watch your first performance. Stop looking so sad. I know it's not the job you hoped for, but it's a job... I'll leave you to rest now," she said with a smile, walking out of the room.

"It's not the job I want, but I don't have a choice," I huffed as I finished my coffee and went back to sleep.

(*)

A week later

I was starting my new job at the bar, and I wasn't excited about it.

"But I have to be positive; it's a paying job," I kept telling myself as I got dressed.

I went to the bar, and as soon as Chris saw me, he said, "You came back."

"She gave me a job, didn’t you?" I stated.

"I did, but I didn’t think you'd remember; you were drunk out of your mind that night," he replied, making me roll my eyes.

"Well, I remembered, so do I still have the job?" I asked, and he smirked.

"I was hoping you'd remember and come back, so of course, the stage is all set for you whenever you're ready to start," he said, and I nodded.

"I'm ready," I responded, trying to shake off my nervousness.

"Can I get a little bit of liquid courage?" I asked him, and he chuckled, walking towards me.

"You can't drink when you're on the job," he whispered.

"Just a light bit," I tried to convince him, but he just smirked, shaking his head.

"You'll do great," Chris whispered, pushing me towards the stage.

I gulped, nervously taking the mic.

I introduced myself, and soon the band started playing. That was when I knew there was no going back.

I slowly began to sing, and just like that, the nervousness was gone, and I enjoyed every moment.