Chapter 56

Jason's POV

As the night grew deeper, sleep seemed to elude me, my mind a tumultuous whirlwind of conflicting emotions. Why would my father subject me to this, forcing me into a marriage devoid of love? The weight of his decision pressed down on me, a suffocating burden threatening to extinguish my very spirit.

With each passing moment, frustration and resentment churned within me, transforming my bed into a prison of despair rather than a sanctuary of rest.

I couldn't simply stand by while my future was gambled away like a mere pawn in some twisted game of familial politics.

As dawn's first light painted the sky in shades of amber and gold, a spark ignited within me, burning away the cloak of resignation that had enveloped my thoughts. I refused to be a pawn any longer. I refused to let my destiny be dictated by my father's whims.

With resolute determination, I made my way towards my father's room, each step resonating with my newfound resolve. The time had come to confront him, to voice my grievances.

Hours passed as I stood vigil outside his door, my determination unwavering. I was prepared to wait indefinitely to make my stance known.

As noon approached, my father's aide emerged, delivering the words I had long awaited: "Your father will see you now."

With firm resolve, I entered the room, only to be greeted by the sight of my father sporting a sardonic grin.

"I see you've been waiting outside my door all morning," he chuckled, his tone dripping with mockery.

"We need to talk, Dad," I asserted, my anger simmering beneath the surface.

"Then speak, son. But if it's regarding your union with Helena, the matter is settled. There's nothing more to discuss," he dismissed, his words cutting through the air like a knife.

"You can't do this to me, Dad. Don't force me into a loveless marriage. My wife just passed away," I pleaded, desperation creeping into my voice.

"Five years, Jason. Amara has been gone for five years now. If you refuse to move on, then I'll have to make you," he snapped, his patience wearing thin.

"Dad... Please. Marrying that girl will destroy me. I feel nothing for her," I implored, my voice tinged with desperation.

"Then find those feelings, son. Marrying Helena will open doors for us. Her family's connections, their influence—it's our key to victory against the Marinos," he urged, his tone unyielding.

"We've managed just fine without her family's assistance. The Marinos pose no threat to us," I countered, frustration bubbling within me.

"But Jason, we must seize every advantage available to us. Helena's family could offer us opportunities beyond our imagination," my father reasoned his tone firm.

"Dad, business is one thing, but my happiness is another. I refuse to sacrifice my happiness for some business deal," I declared, my resolve unwavering.

"How selfish can you be? This isn't solely about your happiness, Jason. It's about securing our future," he insisted, his gaze intense.

"Our future doesn't hinge on marrying into the López family. I won't be manipulated into this," I stated firmly, determination coursing through my veins.

"Then be prepared to lose everything. I'll hand it all over to your brother," my father declared, his words hitting me like a blow.

"Jace will ruin everything we've built. He's all about drugs, money, and women, and you know it," I fired back, frustration seeping into my voice.

"You haven't seen him in five years, not since Amara's passing. How can you be so certain he hasn't changed? He's arriving today, and you'll have the chance to reconnect. Consider your options. Do you want to lose everything to your younger brother because you refuse to fulfil your duty?" my father pressed, his expectations heavy.

"Damn it, Dad, do whatever you want, I am not marrying Helena," I spat out in frustration, feeling a surge of anger.

As I turned to leave, his words halted me in my tracks.

"There's something different about you. The Jason I know would always prioritize family above all else. Remember, your marriage to Amara was arranged by me, and you fell in love with her. What's changed? Why can't you fall in love with Helena the same way? Or is this about the nanny... Emily, isn't it? Rumours are circulating in the house about her being the 'Don's new obsession,'" my father insinuated, his words laced with accusation.

"There's nothing between Emily and me," I retorted, frustration evident in my voice. "You're the one who brought her into this house."

"Yes, for you. I thought she might provide the closure you need because she resembles Amara. But I didn't expect you to develop feelings for her," my father explained, a hint of regret in his tone.

"I don't have feelings for her. She's simply the nanny," I insisted, downplaying the situation.

"Just the nanny? I heard the exorbitant sum you offered to make her stay. What makes her so special that you'd pay such a price?" my father pressed, curiosity evident.

I hesitated, knowing I couldn't divulge the truth. Revealing Emily's ties to Marco would only put her in grave danger.

"I convinced her to stay for Aurora's sake. Aurora adores her, and I'll do anything to ensure my daughter's happiness," I stated, emphasizing my commitment to my child's well-being.

"Very well. If she's not the reason for your sudden change, then prove it to me by marrying Helena. Otherwise, I'll have to consider Emily a threat, and you know how I handle threats," my father warned, leaving no room for negotiation.

I stared at him, torn. Strangely, I realized that while I could endure losing everything, I couldn't bear the thought of Emily being harmed.

After moments of internal struggle, I relented.

"Fine, you win. I'll marry Helena," I muttered, the weight of defeat heavy upon me as I exited the room, the gravity of my decision settling over me like a suffocating shroud.