Chapter 10

Emily's POV

I kept a vigilant watch over the stranger, my eyes never straying from his prone form, silently pleading for his recovery.

I yearned to watch over him through the night, but tiredness finally overcame me, dragging me into the embrace of sleep.

In the realm of dreams, I found myself reliving the moment our paths first crossed, a flood of unanswered questions tormenting my mind.

---

"Good morning, Ma," a gentle voice roused me from slumber, coaxing me back to consciousness.

Blinking away the remnants of sleep, I realized it was already morning

My gaze drifted to the nurse tending to the stranger.

"How is he?" I inquired, my voice heavy with weariness.

"There's been no change, but don't lose hope. Your husband will pull through," the nurse reassured me, her words a lifeline in the sea of uncertainty.

Nodding, I returned my gaze to the stranger, my heart aflutter with apprehension.

"I'll check on him later," the nurse promised before departing.

Still, I couldn't tear my eyes away from the stranger, my prayers for his recovery a fervent plea echoing in the silence.

Hours drifted by, each moment weighed down by the heaviness of anticipation.

Then, the shrill ring of my phone shattered the stillness.

Glancing down, I saw Layla's name flashing on the screen.

I hesitated, torn between my duty to the stranger and my friend's concern.

"Hello, Layla," I answered, my voice strained with exhaustion.

"Emily, where have you been? I've been worried sick! Chris said you left the bar alone," Layla's frantic voice pierced through the phone.

"I'm sorry, Layla, but “I’m alright,” I reassured her, guilt gnawing at me. “Something unexpected happened. I’ll explain everything when I get back.'' I offered, attempting to soothe her anxiety.

"Where are you? I'm coming to get you," Layla insisted.

"I'll be home soon, I promise," I assured her before ending the call, my attention once again consumed by the stranger lying before me.

Nurses and doctors bustled in and out of the room, their presence a constant reminder of the stranger’s precarious state. Eventually, I was summoned to give a statement to the police, fabricating details as I knew little about the man I had rescued.

“You should go home and rest, have a bath, and change your clothes,” the nurse advised gently.

Reluctantly, I conceded. “No, I can’t leave him,” I murmured.

“He’s in good hands. You need your rest,” the nurse insisted.

Her words lingered in my mind, and I knew she was right. I needed to reassure Layla of my safety.

“Thank you. I’ll go home for a while, but please inform me of any changes,” I requested before leaning in to whisper to the stranger,

“I’ll be back.”

With one last lingering look, I exited the room.

---

Entering the apartment, I was met with Layla’s anxious gaze.

“You didn’t go to work?” I questioned, my voice tinged with exhaustion.

“How could I when you were missing? I had to call in sick,” Layla’s concern washed over me, her eyes searching mine for reassurance.

"I wasn't missing," I murmured, sinking into a chair.

“Then where were you all night? I was worried sick! I even filed a missing person’s report,” Layla pressed, her worry palpable.

“I’m sorry, Layla. Something unexpected happened.  I’ll explain,” I offered, knowing she deserved the truth.

Before I could elaborate, the doorbell interrupted us.

Layla rushed to answer it, and Chris barged in, enfolding me in a tight embrace, his relief discernible.

The fear of what could have happened to you engulfed my senses.

"I'm fine, Chris," I assured him, pulling away gently.

"She was just about to tell us what happened," Layla interjected, her gaze urging me to speak.

Taking a deep breath, I recounted the events of the night and the tale of the mysterious stranger and my efforts to save him.

"Oh, Emily," Layla breathed, her eyes brimming with emotion.

"I should have insisted on accompanying you last night. This city isn't safe," Chris chided himself, his protective instincts kicking in.

"It was terrifying, but I couldn’t just walk away," I confessed.

"How is he now?" Layla inquired. her curiosity piqued.

"Still unconscious. I came home briefly to freshen up. I'm going back to be with him," I replied, already mentally preparing to return to the hospital.

Layla and Chris exchanged worried glances, their concern evident.

"Emily, it's too risky. You don't know anything about him. He could be dangerous," Chris warned.

"Emily," Chris interjected, his voice laced with concern. "You don't know anything about that stranger. He could be working for one of the two mafia families that run this city. He might be dangerous."

"Mafia Families?" I echoed, my voice tinged with disbelief and a touch of fear.

"Yes, two crime families run this city," Chris confirmed his tone grave. "So you see, it's not safe for you to get too close to a man you found with a gunshot wound. You know nothing about him."

His attempt to comfort me was overshadowed by the weight of his words. I recoiled slightly as he reached for my hands, the gravity of the situation sinking in.

"Listen to him, Emily," Layla whispered, her voice pleading with me to reconsider.

"I don't need your two permission," I replied, my tone firm but tinged with frustration. "I am going back to the hospital. I can’t abandon him now. I need to make sure he’s okay.

With that, I stood up and made my way to my room, determined to follow through with my decision despite their concerns.

---

After a quick shower and change of clothes, I emerged from my room, my resolve unwavering.

Layla and Chris were still in the living room, their concern etched on their faces.

Ignoring their protests, I headed for the door, but Chris intercepted me.

"We're coming with you," he declared firmly.

"You don't have to," I protested weakly, knowing their presence would only complicate things.

"If you're going back to that hospital, then we're going with you. I won't let you face this alone," Chris insisted, determination gleaming in his eyes.

I knew arguing would be futile. With a nod, I led them out the door, I led them to the hospital, my heart heavy with apprehension.

Arriving at the stranger's room, I was met with an unexpected sight.

The bed lay empty, the stranger nowhere to be found.

“He’s gone,” I murmured, disbelief colouring my words.

Confused I turned to the nurse for answers.

"Your husband... he left," the nurse revealed, leaving me stunned and speechless.