Chapter 57

Jason's POV

Fueled by anger, I stormed out of the house, the heavy door slamming shut behind me. Each step I took was laden with frustration, my mind a whirlwind of conflicting thoughts. Climbing into my car, the engine roared to life as I drove off, the sound of tyres screeching against the pavement echoing my tumultuous emotions.

I drove aimlessly, the road stretching endlessly before me. Ignoring the fuel gauge dipping dangerously low, I continued until the engine sputtered to a halt, leaving me stranded in the middle of nowhere, surrounded by an unknown landscape.

As I found myself stranded in the solitude of the unknown, an unexpected sense of calm washed over me. I welcomed the quiet, relishing the opportunity to let my thoughts roam free without the weight of expectation or obligation. Leaning against my car, I surrendered to the tranquillity of the moment, allowing my mind to wander wherever it pleased.

"I've always prided myself on my ability to control every aspect of my life, to stay one step ahead of every situation," I mused aloud to the empty expanse around me. "But now, it feels like I can't even control the smallest details of my own life."

Time seemed to blur as I lost myself in introspection, but soon I heard Lucas's voice calling out to me.

"What are you doing here?" I asked, my irritation evident in my tone.

"I should be asking you that question. What the hell are you doing here? I can't always have to babysit you. You're the Don, start acting like it," Lucas demanded, his frustration palpable.

"I didn't ask you to come and look for me," I retorted, my irritation mounting.

"No, you didn't, but your father did. Jace is back," Lucas revealed, and his words only fueled my anger. Without thinking, I grabbed a nearby stone and hurled it against his car window, shattering it.

"What the hell... Jason?" Lucas exclaimed, his eyes wide with disbelief as he surveyed the damage to his car.

"I'm sorry, Lucas. I didn't mean to..." I began, the reality of my actions sinking in.

"You didn't mean to? You just threw a stone at my car!" Lucas interrupted his tone a mix of frustration and incredulity.

"I know, and I'll pay for the damages," I said, my voice firm with resolve.

"No, you are buying me a new car," he insisted.

"Yeah, of course, I will get you a new one," I conceded.

Lucas sighed, clearly exasperated.

"I know you're furious that your brother is back, after everything he did, But it was years ago. Forgive him," Lucas pleaded, his voice tinged with a mixture of frustration and desperation.

"I'm not only mad because of that. Jace came back to take my place," I clarified, my frustration seeping into my words. Lucas regarded me with a puzzled expression, prompting me to continue.

"My dad is forcing me to marry Helena, and if I don't, he'll give everything to Jace. But I don't care about that. Jace can have it all. And when he destroys everything, my dad will have no choice but to come crawling back to me," I explained, my voice tinged with defiance.

"Good, thank goodness you're not marrying Helena," Lucas breathed out in relief.

"No, I am marrying her," I asserted, cutting him off, and Lucas groaned in frustration.

"But you just told me..." he started, his confusion evident.

"I know what I said, but my father is using Emily as bait. If I don't agree to marry Helena, he'll take out his anger on Emily, and I can't let that happen," I admitted, the weight of the situation pressing down on me.

"Oh, I understand. The things we do for the people we love," Lucas remarked, a smirk playing on his lips.

"For the last time, I'm not in love with Emily," I insisted, exasperated, but Lucas just chuckled knowingly.

"Yeah, whatever helps you sleep better at night. Come on, get in. We need to head back; your father is waiting. I'll get someone to pick up your car," Lucas said, his tone shifting to business as he gestured for me to join him in the vehicle.

We returned to the house, and as we made our way inside, I was suddenly enveloped in a hug by Helena.

" I can't believe that I will be Mrs Russo very soon, queen of the city, you can not imagine how happy I am, It's good that you came to your senses. You're doing the right thing, the honourable thing, and we will be the strongest couple in this city, and with the help of my father, the Marinos will no longer be a problem... My love, I promise to make you very happy," she whispered, her words filled with promise, I didn't care about.

"Jason, you can not imagine, I'm super thrilled about our engagement. Your dad mentioned you will announce it on your birthday, and I just can't contain my excitement! Why don't we get married, as soon as possible? Because I can't wait to start a family with you," she gushed, smiling like a penguin.

Her voice grated on my nerves like nails on a chalkboard, piercing my ears with each syllable. Unable to bear it any longer, I gently pulled her away from me.

" Stop this Helena, Why don't we get one thing straight? I'm only going through with this marriage because my father is twisting my arm to do so. You mean absolutely nothing to me, not now, not ever. But hey, at least you'll have the Russo name you've always craved. So, congratulations, you won," I spat out bitterly, walking away immediately.