Chapter 26

Emily's POV

The moment I laid eyes on him again, my entire world ground to a halt. Time seemed to freeze, and I found myself staring at him, almost unable to believe he was truly here.

Goodness, he has changed so much. His hair, now slightly longer, added to the sense of unfamiliarity to his looks, and his bright blue eyes reminded me of the ocean, his chiselled face and his neatly cut beard highlighted his features so gracefully, bringing to my attention how handsome he looked something I never saw before.

My eyes unconsciously drifted down, and I noticed he came in with no shirt on, just trousers that hung so dangerously below his waist, putting his toned-hard abs on display. The tattoo etched on his upper chest, the name 'Amara,' stood out boldly, a familiar mark amidst the changes.

"I tore my gaze away from his mesmerizing eyes, inwardly screaming, 'Why was he here?' My heart thundered with uncertainty, each beat echoing the question that raced through my mind."

"His eyes held something within them, something I couldn't quite grasp, and that unsettled me.

"Locked into his unsettling gaze, I felt the intensity of his presence sending my heart into a frenzy."

"What is happening... Why is he here? Who was he to the Russos?" I screamed inwardly, my heart skipping a beat as he brought his hands to my face as if he was trying to see if I was real.

In his eyes, I saw a flicker of recognition—a familiarity that puzzled me. After all, he had been unconscious the entire time we were together.

I found myself frozen in place, unable to move as his touch and gaze held me in a spellbinding grip. An unfamiliar surge of emotion washed over me, igniting something within me that I couldn't quite understand.

Was it fear? Yes, it had to be. because I knew nothing about this stranger who had suddenly appeared in this dangerous house.

Suddenly, the calm look in his eyes shifted to one of anger as he gripped my arm with uncanny strength.

"I don't know who you are, but no one takes my daughter without my permission!" he screamed, his grip tightening.

I didn't understand what this was about, and I didn't want to know. All I felt was the searing pain from his grip.

"What the hell is wrong with you? Let me go!" My voice cracked with the force of my words as I stood up to him, desperation and defiance intertwining in my tone. "You're hurting me!" Each word was a battle cry, my heart pounding with a mixture of fear and fury as I struggled against his grip.

"No one takes my daughter, do you understand?" he bellowed, his eyes ablaze with fury.

"Who is your daughter?" I yelled back, my anger boiling within me, mirroring his intensity.

Before He could utter a word, thankfully, Anna burst in.

"Don Jason, she didn't mean any harm. She's new here and unaware of the rules. Your father hired her to care for Aurora," Anna explained urgently, so with one final glance from him, his grip on my hand loosened.

Silently, he moved towards Aurora, scooping her up in one fluid motion, and departed without a word, leaving a lingering tension in the air.

---

As I watched him leave, it felt like my legs might give out beneath me, but thankfully, Anna held me steady, guiding me to bed.

Shivering, my heart pounded so loudly in my chest.

"What just happened?" I asked myself, the confusion echoing in my mind.

"Here, drink this," Anna said, her voice breaking through the haze as she handed me a glass of water.

I downed it in one gulp, my hands still shaking from the intensity of what had just happened.

"Who is he, and what's his problem?" The words burst from me, fueled by a fiery anger that refused to be contained.

" That is the boss, Don Jason Russo,'' Anna answered and my heart skipped a beat

"That man is Jason Russon?" I blurted out, unable to contain my surprise.

''Yes, and I'm sorry for what happened. Trust me, Don Jason is not always like this," Anna said reassuringly as she sat beside me.'' It's just that in this house, we have a rule: no one takes Aurora anywhere without his permission. He's been particularly paranoid ever since his wife passed away. I'm sorry, it's all my fault for not telling you," Anna explained, her voice tinged with regret.

"His wife is dead?" I asked, needing to confirm what I had heard.

"Yes, her name was Amara, such a wonderful young woman. Don Jason has not been the same ever since she died," Anna answered.

As Anna's words sank in, a flood of conflicting emotions surged within me. Disbelief mingled with a profound sense of sorrow as I grappled with the realization that the man I had once saved was now the same man who threatened to shatter my newfound love and happiness with Marco

"Emily, are you okay?" Anna's concerned voice broke through my reverie, pulling me back to the present moment.

"Yes, I'm fine. Just lost in thought," I replied with a forced smile, hoping to mask the turmoil raging within me. Unconsciously, my hand drifted to the bruises on my arm, remnants of Jason's iron grip, a stark reminder of how dangerous Jason was.

"Hope you're not thinking of leaving?" Anna's voice held a hint of concern as she posed the question, her gaze searching mine for reassurance.

I shook my head in response. "No, of course not," I assured her, forcing a smile to mask the turmoil churning inside me.

"Unfortunately, I need the money," I added, the lie slipping from my lips with practised ease.

"Good, because I feel the universe brought you here for a reason," Anna said with a warm smile.

"Get some rest; a good sleep always helps," she advised before rising to her feet and making her way to the door.

I nodded in acknowledgement, grateful for Anna's comforting words, yet unable to shake the gnawing sense of unease that lingered within me like a shadow in the corners of my mind. As Anna left the room, the soft click of the door closing behind her seemed to amplify the silence, enveloping me in a cocoon of aloneness.

With the dim light filtering through the curtains casting elongated shadows across the room, I sank into my bed, my thoughts swirling like leaves caught in a gust of wind. Why did he have to be the same man I saved all those while ago? The memory of that fateful encounter resurfaced, each detail etched vividly in my mind like scenes from a haunting dream.

His appearance had stirred up a whirlwind of emotions within me, like a tempest raging beneath the calm surface of the sea. Fear, uncertainty, and an undeniable sense of curiosity waged a silent battle within my heart, each emotion vying for dominance over the other.

Was it a mere coincidence that he was the same person I was tasked to destroy, or was the universe trying to play a sick game on me? The thought sent a shiver down my spine, prickling the fine hairs on the back of my neck.

Unable to banish his image from my mind, I found myself ensnared in a maze of memories, each turn leading me further into the depths of uncertainty. And I knew for a fact that this mission was going to be harder than I thought.

''Because could I really destroy the same man I had once saved?