Chapter 15

Emily's POV

Marco consumed my thoughts, his presence invading my mind without permission. But I welcomed it, eager to embrace love once more. The mere thought was electrifying.

"I hope he calls tomorrow," I murmured, drifting into sleep with anticipation.

Morning arrived with an unfamiliar sound, stirring me from slumber. Slowly, I opened my eyes to find Layla standing before me, flanked by two men filling my room with white roses.

"What's happening, Layla?" I asked, still half-asleep.

She handed me a note, her eyes rolling in exasperation.

"This is what's happening," she replied, her focus already drifting back to the men arranging the flowers.

I eagerly unfolded the note, my heart fluttering with excitement.

"Millions of roses for how you've filled my life with beauty. I'll pick you up at 10 pm. Love, Marco," it read.

My smile stretched wide, and I couldn't contain my joy.

"I'm seeing him again, Layla," I exclaimed, showing her the note.

But Layla brushed past me, dismissing the men with a wave of her hand.

"Layla, I thought we were past this. I thought you were happy for me," I said, trailing after her.

"I support you but don't expect me to throw a party when you're diving headfirst into the unknown with a man you barely know," she retorted, her skepticism palpable.

"That's why I'm going on a date with him. I'll get to know him. Trust me, Layla, Marco is not as bad as you think," I reassured her.

"If you say so, but who buys a girl a million roses? The entire apartment is overrun with them," she remarked, her doubt lingering.

"They're not the only flowers?" I asked eagerly.

"I wish, but the place is practically a botanical garden now," she replied, and I dashed out of my room to see for myself. Indeed, roses adorned every corner of the apartment.

"It's breathtaking. I've never experienced anything like this," I exclaimed, but Layla remained sceptical.

"Beautiful, yes, but way over the top," she muttered.

"Anyway, enjoy. I'm off to work. And promise me you'll at least swing by the bar. You know how you get when you're like this," she said, already heading out the door.

Rolling my eyes, I returned to marvelling at Marco's gift, though a nagging voice in my head cautioned against moving too fast.

---

I resisted the urge to visit the bar. Tonight was about Marco, and I didn't want anything to distract me. But Chris's persistent calls eventually wore me down, and I found myself at the bar.

"Finally, you're here. What took you so long?" Chris asked, his puppy-dog eyes brimming with concern.

"I honestly didn't want to come," I admitted, sitting across from him.

His expression softened, but his next words caught me off guard.

"Emily, I'm sorry. Sorry for kissing you yesterday, but not sorry for telling you how I feel," he confessed, his voice barely above a whisper.

"Chris," I sighed, not wanting to revisit the awkwardness of yesterday.

Before I could protest, Chris pulled me into his office, his determination palpable.

"I love you, Emily. And I want to be with you. I don't care about your past or who that guy from last night was. All I care about is you and me right here and now. Let me love you the way you deserve," he pleaded, inching closer.

His words hung heavy in the air, but I knew I had to set things straight.

''I love you, Chris," I whispered, and a smile crept up on his face. He wanted to seal my confession with a kiss, but then I said.

''But as a friend. Maybe even as a brother. But not the way you want me to," I confessed, bracing myself for his reaction.

His silence spoke volumes, and I felt a pang of guilt.

"I'm sorry, Chris. I never meant to hurt you, tell me you don't hate me," I murmured, but still, he said nothing.

Desperate for some sign of understanding, I reached out to him. Surprisingly, he pulled me into a comforting hug, his silence speaking volumes.

"I could never hate you, Emily. And it's okay if you don't feel the same way. I'll always cherish our friendship," he whispered, his embrace warm and comforting.

Relief flooded through me, grateful that our bond remained intact.

"We should head back. I need to prepare for my performance," I suggested, eager to change the subject.

But Chris had one last question.

"Does your rejection have anything to do with the guy from yesterday?" he asked, and I hesitated.

"No, Marco has nothing to do with this," I assured him, though unease gnawed at the edges of my mind.

As we exited his office, I soon heard my phone buzzing incessantly. Answering the call, a familiar voice greeted me.

"Who is this?" I asked, though I already knew the answer.

"The one who's crazy about you," Marco's voice echoed through the line, sending a shiver down my spine.

"Marco," I breathed, unable to suppress my smile.

"Hi, love," he chuckled, his voice sending butterflies fluttering in my stomach.

"Thank you for the flowers," I said, genuine gratitude in my voice.

"I want to do so much more for you, Emily. And I can't wait to see you tonight. I have a little present for you. Someone is walking towards you with it," he teased, and anticipation coursed through me.

A mysterious figure approached, bearing a box. Marco's parting words echoed in my mind as I reached for it.

"Wear it for our date tonight," he instructed, and the line went dead.

But as I opened the box, a sudden wave of dread crashed over me. What if this was all too good to be true? What if Layla's suspicions about Marco were valid? Despite these unsettling thoughts creeping into my mind, I forcibly pushed them aside, fueled by my eagerness to see Marco again.