Chapter 55

Jason's POV

Anger surged through me as I sharply turned towards the staff, who had been eavesdropping on our conversation.

"The show's over. Leave, now!" My voice thundered down the hallway, laden with frustration, as I stormed towards my study.

Emily's defiance ignited a raging fire within me, stirring up a torrent of emotions I hadn't felt ever since Amara's death.

But Emily wasn't Amara. I had reminded myself of that daily. And at the restaurant, Marco's handiwork was evident with the bruises on her neck. I needed her to confess her connection with Marco to me, because despite her involvement with him.

"Emily was no criminal."

With agitation coursing through me, I poured a glass of whiskey and downed it in a swift motion.

"I can tell by the way you gulp down that drink, it's Emily again," Lucas's voice pierced the silence, drawing my attention to him.

"What do you think?" I replied, pouring him a glass and refilling my own.

"So, I can safely assume your plans are falling apart," Lucas chuckled, and I rolled my eyes.

"The plans are going well, Lucas. I'll get what I want and destroy Marco in the process," I asserted, but Lucas only laughed.

"Just let Emily go. Keeping her here won't benefit you," Lucas advised.

"I know what I want, and I'll achieve it," I insisted.

"Okay, then tell me. What's your endgame? I understand keeping Emily here is part of your plan, but I'm in the dark about your real intentions. What game are you playing, Jason?" Lucas inquired as I settled behind my desk.

I told him everything-my plans and how I intended to execute them, even though Emily was making it hard for me.

Confusion clouded Lucas's expression as he downed the content in his glass.

"You can't be serious, Jason. Why involve this poor girl in this?" Lucas protested.

"I'm not toying with anyone. Marco started this game, and I'm merely playing along," I explained.

"And Emily, she is caught in the crossfire," Lucas concluded, his voice heavy with concern. "You know she's been snooping around about our operation; she's still working for Marco," Lucas added, his tone tinged with apprehension.

"I know, Lucas. I know she's been snooping around. I instructed them to tell her whatever she wanted to hear," I replied, but Lucas still looked at me with confusion etched on his face.

"Why... Jason, why are you enabling a traitor?" he pressed, his voice filled with genuine concern.

"Emily is not a traitor. She doesn't belong to our world. You didn't see what I saw back at the restaurant-the bruises on her neck. I think Marco is forcing her to do this, and all I need is for her to confess to me," I explained, my frustration evident in my voice.

"What if you're wrong? What if they were just having some... intimate encounter in that bathroom, and that's why she had those bruises? They are engaged, after all," Lucas speculated, and instantly, anger surged within me.

"Watch your tongue, Lucas, before I forget that you're my best friend," I snapped, my patience wearing thin. Lucas raised his hand in a gesture of peace, his smirk irritating me further.

"I'm sorry. I didn't realize that would touch a nerve," he apologized, pouring himself another glass of whiskey.

"That reminds me, I saw Helena. Why is she back? I thought you told her to leave for good the last time," Lucas inquired, changing the subject.

''Beats me,'' I muttered, running a hand through my hair. ''She showed up at the restaurant causing havoc, and this evening was no different. You know I found her and Emily fighting, and I know she provoked her.''

Lucas leaned back in his chair, his brow furrowed with concern. ''So is the marriage still on?'' His question caught me off guard, and I wondered why he would even ask such a thing.

The silence stretched between us. I could feel Lucas's gaze boring into me, searching for answers he knew very well.

''Okay,'' he finally said, breaking the silence. ''With the look on your face, I can tell that is a no. So what are you going to do about her? Because she will be a problem, especially for Emily, with your recent closeness to her.''

I rubbed my temples, trying to ease the ache building behind my eyes.

"I gave her 3 days to leave," I said softly.

"And do you think she would? Helena is a handful, you know that, right?" Lucas remarked, his tone laced with scepticism.

"I don't care. Helena is the least of my problems," I replied firmly, meeting Lucas's gaze head-on.

Lucas nodded in understanding. "Whatever you say. I just came to drop off that document before heading home. You know how Hazel can be when I don't come home early."

A wry smile tugged at the corners of his lips as he continued, "And also, I won't forget the white roses for your girl, Emily. I've told the flower shop to send a bouquet every day, just like you wanted."

My heart skipped a beat at his words, and I quickly clarified, "Emily is not my girl."

Lucas's smirk only widened. "Sure, sure," he said, with a knowing glint in his eyes. But before he left, he paused in the doorway, turning back to me with a solemn expression.

"Don't go falling in love with her," he advised, as he walked out.

His words hung in the air long after he left, echoing in my mind. Before I knew what was going on, my door busted open, and my father stormed in angrily, with Helena trailing behind him.

"What is this, Dad, and why is she here?" I demanded, my voice tinged with frustration and confusion as my gaze darted between the two of them.

"Helen is not leaving this house, and you both are getting married whether you want to or not!" my father lashed out, his voice booming with authority.

"I am not going to marry this woman! I've told you this a thousand times, Dad!" I protested, my fists clenched at my sides, my heart pounding in my chest, anger churning deep inside me.

"You will, my son or I will take everything from you. I made you my heir, and I can as well take it back from you and give it to your brother. Or better still, I can make your favourite little nanny disappear, and you know what happens to people that I make disappear," my father threatened, his voice dripping with menace.

"Dad, you do not mean that. You can't threaten me because of this thing you're forcing me to marry," I shot back, my voice trembling with defiance.

"Why don't you try me and see? I know you don't want to disobey me. You will marry Helena, and in fact, you will announce your engagement to everyone on your birthday celebration in a week, or be prepared to lose everything to your brother," my father commanded before turning on his heel and striding out of the room. Helena followed suit, her smirk twisted with triumph as she blew me a mocking kiss.

I stood there, trembling with rage and helplessness, as the weight of my father's ultimatum settled like a leaden weight in the pit of my stomach. The sense of entrapment suffocated me, as I didn't know what to think anymore.