Chapter 59

Emily's POV

Going to the pool was the last thing I wanted to do, especially in this revealing bikini that left little to the imagination. But Aurora had been relentless in her persuasion, and I found myself reluctantly following her lead.

With each step towards the pool, the bikini felt more like a spotlight, accentuating every curve and making me feel incredibly self-conscious as I silently prayed that I wouldn't run into Jason.

The sun beat down mercilessly, intensifying the already oppressive heat. The sharp scent of chlorine invaded my nostrils, mingling with the overpowering smell of sunscreen. Despite my discomfort, Aurora seemed completely oblivious, flashing me an enthusiastic grin. "Don't worry, Em, we're going to have so much fun," she urged, her excitement infectious. But with every step, my apprehension only grew stronger.

"Loosen up, Emily, don't tell me you've never worn this to a pool before," Aurora quipped.

"No, not when your father might be close by," I muttered to myself, the reminder of Jason's possible presence sending a chill down my spine.

With resignation settling in, I decided to embrace the moment and have some fun.

Aurora and I swam until we lost track of time, laughter and splashes filling the air.

"I think I'm done swimming, I'm hungry," Aurora announced.

"Alright, let's head back in. I'll have Anna prepare something for you," I replied, pulling her close as we stepped out of the pool, the cool tiles under our feet providing a welcomed contrast to the warmth of the sun.

I was drying Aurora off when an unfamiliar voice called out my name. Startled, I turned around to find myself face-to-face with a handsome young man. His jet-black hair, curly yet perfectly styled to frame his face, and his honey-brown eyes seemed to bore into me with an intensity as if they hid some kind of secret. His features were eerily familiar, resembling Jason in a way that was so striking, that it got me confused as to who he was.

"Emily, you are Emily, right? Aurora's nanny," he asked, and I nodded nervously.

"Hi, I'm Jace... Jace Russo," he introduced himself.

"And you must be little Aurora. You've grown so much in just a few years," he remarked, attempting to reach out to Aurora, but she shyly hid her face behind my back.

"Russo?" I repeated, feeling a knot of apprehension forming in my stomach.

"Yes... Jason's younger brother," he confirmed, and at the mention of Jason's name, my heart skipped a beat. Moments later, Jason appeared, his eyes blazing with anger.

"Emily, take Aurora and get inside... Now!" Jason ordered, his tone brooking no argument.

Though I didn't appreciate his commanding tone, I felt compelled to comply.

"Come on, Brother, but Emily and I are still talking," Jace protested.

"She is working, and I would appreciate it if you do not distract her from taking care of my daughter," Jason let out angrily, his eyes drilling into me with an intensity that left me unsettled.

"Nonsense, this house is filled with maids who can take care of Aurora. In fact..." Jace began, reaching to call one of the maids over. But before the maid could get to us, Jason grabbed Aurora from me and left.

Feeling uncomfortable and confused by Jason's sudden anger, I watched as he disappeared into the house with Aurora in tow, I wanted to follow suit but Jace pulled me back.

"Now it's just you and me," he whispered, his smile widening as he moved closer. Instinctively, I backed away, feeling uneasy with his proximity.

"I never knew Don Jason had a brother," I blurted out, attempting to ease the palpable tension in the air.

"My brother... hates me, he would never talk about me, but that is not important. What is important is, I want to know why you look so much like Amara. Two people cannot look this alike, and I know that you are not her because Amara is dead. So who are you?" Jace let out, his tone curious yet tinged with a hint of something else, something strange.

Hearing that name again filled me with confusion. "That name again. Who is this Amara that everyone keeps telling me I look so much like?" I asked, frustration evident in my voice. However, Jace started laughing, a sound that sent a shiver down my spine.

"Jason hasn't told you about Amara," Jace let out between laughs.

"Why is he the one to tell me about Amara?" I asked, growing more puzzled as Jace continued to laugh.

"He's really trying so hard to forget her, but I guess with you here, it's kind of impossible. Thank goodness I came back for all of this drama," Jace remarked, leaving me thoroughly confused.

"Who is Amara?" I pressed, determined to unravel the mystery.

"Why don't you ask your boss? Jason is the best person to tell you about her," Jace replied with a smile, his gaze lingering on me for what felt like an eternity. Then, he brought his hand to the corner of my face, caressing it gently.

"It's good to meet you, Emily. You are a mystery, and lucky for you, I am drawn to mysteries," he murmured, his voice carrying a hint of intrigue.

"Come to think of it, your eyes are more beautiful, compelling even. Now I can see why my brother is so protective over you. You are different, even though you may look like her," he remarked, a smile playing at the corners of his lips before he turned and walked away, leaving me to ponder his cryptic words.

I was lost in thought, Jace's words swirling freely in my mind, when suddenly, I heard my phone ring, pulling me out of my invading thoughts.

I glanced at the number, immediately recognizing it as Marco's. He had been calling persistently for days now, but I still refused to answer. I had no information to give him, and I couldn't stand to listen to any of his threats or lies about how he was doing all of it for our love.

I made my way inside, Jace's words lingering in my mind like an unsolved puzzle. Lost in thought, I headed towards my room, but before I knew it, I was pulled into a room by familiar hands, of none other than Jason Russo.

"What is this?" I asked, confused, trying to free myself from his hold. But instead of releasing me, he pulled me closer into his arms, backing me against the wall.

As Jason held me against the wall, his gaze was intense, filled with emotions I couldn't decipher. His grip around my arms was firm but not harsh, and I could feel the tension radiating from his body.

"What are you doing?" I demanded, my voice trembling slightly despite my attempt to sound assertive.

He didn't respond with words. Instead, his gaze bore into mine with an intensity that made my heart race. There was something raw and primal in his eyes, something that both frightened and intrigued me all at once.

"Stay away from my brother... He is trouble," he warned, his eyes blazing with an emotion I finally could recognise.

"Jealousy."

I was taken aback by the look of jealousy in his eyes, but before I could say another word, he turned and left the room, leaving me frozen with nerves, my heart still pounding heavily in my chest.