Chapter 60

Jason's POV

The return of my brother has stirred up a whirlwind of chaos, tearing through every aspect of my life. It feels like I've endured a lifetime of turmoil in just two days. Jace has always been the wild one, earning himself the reputation of the black sheep of our family. As his polar opposite, I've often been left to clean up after his messes. His presence has always been a source of frustration for me, and now, seeing him with Emily, it's unbearable.

The sight of them together was driving me mad, pushing me to the edge. It felt like déjà vu because this is what my brother does—he always goes after what is mine. He did it with Amara, and now he's doing it with Emily.

"But Emily is nothing to you, you've always made that clear," the voices in my head screamed back at me, and I hated that they were right. How could I change that when I had promised myself that no one would ever take Amara's place in my life? It was a promise I made to myself, a vow to never let anyone else in, but now, seeing Emily with Jace, it felt like my resolve was slipping away.

I stood at the entrance of the house, waiting for the driver to bring my car around, when I spotted Jace walking with Emily towards me. Instantly, the anger I had been struggling to contain surged back in full force. It felt like a wave crashing over me, overwhelming and all-consuming. As they approached, I could feel the tension building inside me, ready to explode at any moment.

Jace's greeting fell on deaf ears as my attention remained fixed solely on Emily, who seemed uneasy under my gaze, quickly averting her eyes.

"Brother, I'm taking Emily shopping. Hope you don't mind," Jace said with a smirk, his hand intertwined with hers. My heart pounded with anger, but I fought to keep it in check, maintaining my gaze on Emily, and grappling with why she chose to disobey me.

"Since tomorrow is your birthday and engagement announcement, I want to get Emily here a new dress. She'll be my date to the event," Jace announced casually. His words stoked the flames of resentment within me, but I forced myself to remain composed, though the turmoil inside me threatened to boil over.

"I don't think that's wise, taking one of the staff to such an important event. Dad would disapprove," I stated firmly. Emily's gaze shot up to meet mine, her eyes reflecting a mix of surprise and discontent.

"You don't have to worry about that. Dad has already okayed it. He wants me to be happy, and Emily makes me happy right now. I'm sure Helena does the same for you," Jace replied, chuckling lightly. His words felt like a jab, a reminder of my complicated situation with Helena. But I couldn't let Jace's flippant attitude get to me.

"We should be on our way. We don't want to keep you. I'm sure you have a lot of preparation to do for your big day tomorrow," my brother announced, pulling Emily along with him. He shot me one last mocking glance before they walked out the door.

I remained frozen, consumed by a wave of jealousy that blinded me completely. Every part of me hated the situation. I knew Jace was just trying to press my buttons, but I also hated that Emily was allowing herself to be used by him. It was infuriating to see her fall into his trap so easily, to see her disregard my warnings and allow herself to be fooled by him. The mix of anger and frustration boiled inside me, leaving me feeling powerless and alone.

Seeing them together drained any motivation I had to leave the house, so I turned away, intending to retreat to my study. But just as I was about to escape, I noticed my brother running up to me.

"Jason, I forgot, but Dad said that you should give me the family's black card so I can take Emily out for the day," he blurted out.

Reluctantly, I handed him the card, feeling a surge of frustration at his audacity. But before he could walk away, he leaned in with a smirk and whispered, "When will you learn that I always get what I want?"