36.

Jude

"Here hun." Mum passes me the IPad I asked her to bring for me.

"Thanks mum." I smile as I pull myself up in the hospital bed. Rest my back against the pillows.

"Oh, and here." She digs in her bag and then pulls out an envelope. Passes it to me with a smile.

"Thanks." I gently take it out of her hands.

"What's in there?" She nods to the letter in my hand.

I shrug. "Mike's old school. Likes to write me letters." I lie, letting out a laugh.

Mum smiles brightly. "That's lovely."

I nod in agreement.

The door knocks, my doctor walks in with a warm and greeting smile.

"Hello Mrs Bellingham, Jude." He greets

"Hello Dr Steven's." Mum answers

"Hey." I reply

"How are you feeling today Jude?" He asks walking over to the machine plugged in, looking at it for god knows what reason. Think he's checking my vitals or something.

"Good yeah. Can feel my legs again which is great." All in all I'm not doing too badly. Back pain obviously, but I'm glad I'm not paralysed. I'm not skipping around, still having trouble walking a bit, but it could be a lot worse. It would have been a lot worse.

"Good, good." He scribbles down a few notes.

"Any pain?" He questions.

"Legs? No. Back? Yes."

He writes down some more notes. Nods.

"Okay—" He lets out a breath. Tucks his clipboard under his arm and looks at me.

"I'm very happy with your progress. Since the operation a few days ago, everything seems to be going well. You've got feeling back in your legs, you're able to walk a tiny bit with the aid of crutches which is brilliant. Not far or for long, but it's good you're at that stage."

"On my end, there's no concerns as of now. Once you start your physio in a few weeks you'll begin to improve even more. For now what you need to do is rest and recover. No activity, limit walking until your physio. If you must walk then use your wheelchair. The back is temperamental at times and even though the surgery fixed the immediate dangers, it doesn't mean everything's perfect now. You're still in the healing stage." He informs.

"If there is any pain. Increased back pain or leg pain you let me know immediately. We don't want any damaged nerves." He explains.

"Okay Doctor Steven's." I nod.

"How long do you think until he's discharged?" Mum asks.

"I recommend he's here for at least another week so we can keep an eye. Not to say he won't recover quicker. He's a strong one, your boy." The doctor smiles nicely at mum.