twenty-three

( this is the tw for my people with emetophobia - fear of vomit - )

"PHILLIPS FOR THREE!" josie nodded, bumping chests with nika. it was the third quarter, and they were 33-27 uconn. josie had chugged down an energy drink during half time, since this was one of their latest games they had this season. since she was on kate , she didn't really have the time to be too tired to play at her full potential. geno had ripped paige at halftime, so that led her to take her anger out on the court ( which lead them to pickup fouls they didn't need).

"timeout hawks." the whistles blew, and josie ran over to paige. "get out of your head, p. we need you fully with us during a game like this." she whispered in paige's ear, before focusing back on what geno was throwing at them before the buzzer went off again. azzi looked at josie before nodding her head over at  iowa. jada and kate were looking at josie, kate whispering something in jadas ear whenever josie looked over. josie smiled at them, before running back onto the court. kate immediately ran over to josie, resting a hand on her lower back. nika ran by, her mouth running ninety miles an hour as she was throwing trash talk at caitlin. josie coughed, using her jersey to wipe her nose.

she was trying to get open, but kate was not having it. geno threw his arms up, motioning for kk to find a way to drive it in. josie was still fighting against kate's defense, trying her best to avoid getting a foul. "phillips! what are you doing!" geno yelled at her as she ran by, following behind kate as she led the ball up the court. josie had been sick these last few days, so she was definitely not playing her best. josie let out a deep breath, feeling her heart rate increase and her body temperature rise.

she had finally gotten her hands on the ball, before getting trapped under the hoop by kate, sydney, and hannah. she looked around, but everyone was screaming at her to go in for a layup. with hannah and kate's hand in her face, sydney staring her down, and everybody screaming around her, she managed to pass the ball to paige before she ran too the nearest trash can  and threw up. the whistles blew, while people ran over to cover her with towels. "josie, what's happening?" the athletic trainer rubbed her back, making sure she knew that she wasn't surrounded by iowa people. josie shrugged before throwing up again. "i'll be fine to play after this-" she started, before puking for the third time. the athletic trainer motioned for more people, as they helped take her back to the locker room.

everyone was standing still in shock, not expecting that to come from josie. "i'm fine, let me go back and play-" she tried to tell everyone, but geno pointed her to the back. the athletic trainers walked her back to the locker room. "natalie, im fine i swear." josie put her head in her hands, sighing as they took her temperature. natalie frowned, looking at the thermometer. "you have a small fever, but we can't hold you back from playing unless you start feeling nauseous again." josie smiled at natalie's words, taking a mint from one of the other trainers hands. "i'll be fine, promise." and with that, she ran back out to the bench.

it was now the fourth quarter, and everyone was stressing out. uconn held a two point lead over iowa, but they were in major foul trouble. "kk, we can't rely on you defensively if you have four fouls." josie patted her on the shoulder, locking eyes with paige. the blonde had been watching her closely ever since she was taken out of the game due to being sick. josie raised an eyebrow, reading paige's mind. it was iowa's ball, but in the middle of trying to make a pass to caitlin, paige stole the ball and ran it up the court. josie made sure she was open, so paige could fake a three and give josie the opportunity for an open layup.

"phillips for two!" everyone started cheering, remembering that exact play from one of their games in high school. the score was now 69-71 with iowa leading by one. there was 30 seconds left in the game, so caitlin was trying to run the clock. "pass the damn ball!" josie yelled in caitlin's face, getting a hint of how this game was going to end up going. with one tenth of a second left, caitlin bounces the ball off of paige which makes it go out of bounds. josie cursed to herself, looking over at nika. the clock went off, signaling that the game was over.

"bullshit." josie laughed, grabbing kk and ran back to the locker room. kk started crying into josie's shoulder, rambling about how she should've done better. "it's okay kam, we got next year baby." josie rubbed her back, looking around at everyone. paige and nika were sitting beside each other in silence, aaliyah was getting consoled by aubrey, and the other girls were crying to themselves. kk pulled away from josie, and pulled 'lili' into a hug. josie walked over to paige, pulling her into a tight hug. "i love you so big p. you played so good." josie mumbled in her ear, rubbing the girls back as she cried. josie pulled nika into their hug, them all crying together.

jazzie speaks !

jazzie speaks !

guess who's alive....anywaysssss i had the beginning of this chapter wrote wednesday but i was waiting until friday to finish it. idk who allowed them refs in the game but.... uconn will be back next year for that ring.

don't forget to vote n comment 💝💝