Chapter 18 - Las Almas

As the group driving through the streets of Las Almas, you can't help but begin to looking around the town through the car window. Once again admiring the place.

"White truck, four armed in the back." Soap suddenly said as a white truck passing from your group's vehicle. His hand tightening around his gun while you subconsciously place your hand on top of his. Rubbing your thumb on the back of his hand to calm him.

Alejandro is quick to say as he looked back at Soap and gesturing with his hand to calm down. "Hey - tranquilo. Easy-- That's normal here." It makes MacTavish narrowed his eyes slightly but loosen his grip nonetheless, his hand move to hold yours instead then he looks ahead again.

"Guns on the street is jurisdiction of the police." The Colonel adds as he looks back ahead on the street.

In exchange, Ghost turns his gaze from outside the window to looking at the Colonel. "Where are the police?" Soap looking over to Ghost that suddenly join in on the conversation.

"Well, Las Almas has a very serious problem." The latino man then looking at them from the rearview mirror, "There are few here to uphold the law. And many of those who resist corruption..." Alejandro then looking on the road again while Soap looking back at the man.

"...disappear." You continue as you looking at Alejandro, nodding his head along your answer. "Correcto."

"What about the military?" You can clearly sense Soap's confusion in his voice but let Alejandro takes the explanation.

"Well, because we are well trained, soldiers are recruited by the narcos..."

"Why not you?" Ghost chimed in once again which make you look at him to warn him not to push the topic further if both your Mexican friends decided not to talking about the said topic.

Rodolfo quietly glancing at the rearview mirror but he's quick to averted his gaze to look at his best friend. While Alejandro, like on cue, also looking at his second in command right after Ghost asked the question.

"We grew up here." Alejandro's answer made Rudy looking ahead on the road again, focusing on driving. "They call us Los Vaqueros..."

"Cowboys?" You turn to look at the Colonel and tilt your head a little.

"Si, amor." He smiles while he glancing over his shoulder to look at you, you subconsciously return the smile.

"We love this place. And we will die fighting for it."

And that's why you love the man. You instantly drawn in him when you first meet him. But it's not like you have a romantic feeling towards the man, it's more like you're having a brother. And you got two from Mexico.

At the end of the road there's a turn right. There are ice cream seller with ballons, a child, and an armed man wearing a balaclava on the roadside. Almost the same as Ghost. MacTavish eyes locking at them for a moment before he looks at Ghost as he did the same.

"Kids, guns and ballons... That's a new one." You don't know whether you imagine it or not, but you sense a little amusement in Soap's voice. You lean in closer to whisper in his ear, "Ghost's long lost brother." Then you lean back as you raise your hand then gesture your hand around your face to hint him about the masked man you both see earlier.

Soap looks at you with a smirk then you both chuckle, drawing the attention of the man beside you. "I'm not deaf." A gruff voice said which startled you as you look ahead again, trying to suppress your smile. Pretend like nothing happened while MacTavish just shaking his head at you, a grin was still etched on his lips.

"Narcos use generosity to win over the people." Alejandro said as the three of you done talking.

"Even the children?" Soap asked again.