Till Death Do Us Part

7 years ago

“Can you please stop messing with your hair? You look great!”

I exhaled a nervous breath as I stared at my reflection in the compact mirror. The sound of blaring music filled the atmosphere, the sweet summer breeze cooling my sweaty skin. The neighbourhood alive, lights sparkling everywhere. Mandy Blaire was throwing an end of the school year party, her home filled to the brim with people from our school. Not many people got away with throwing something this huge in our small town, but Mandy was rich and popular, and that made her immune to strict parents and noise complaints.

“Are you sure you don't want to come in?” I turned to look at Tori, and she shook her head.

“I have a bowl of ice cream and a new episode of my favorite show calling my name. Besides,” she looked at the house, drunk teenagers already spilling out into the Blaires' perfectly manicured lawn. “I love you to death, but the last thing I want to see tonight is you and my brother eating each other's faces.” She made a gagging sound, covering her mouth with her hand.

I chuckled, my face heating up as an image of Carson and I kissing flashed through my mind. “Please, he just invited me to a party. Nothing more. And it's his graduation party, might I add, him and Mandy are finally leaving this town behind!”

“Right, like you two haven't been dancing around your feelings for each other for ages.” Tori patted me on the shoulder, gesturing with her head towards the house. “Go, have fun. This might be your last chance to tell him how you feel before he goes to college. Enjoy the night. Call me if you need me.”

I nodded, adjusting the hem of my dress before getting out of the car. “Thanks for the ride, Tori.” I shut the door gently, her beat up Honda squeaking in response.

I watched her drive away before I willed myself to turn around and face the music. I walked up the stairs, looking around for a familiar head of blond hair. Carson and I have known each other since we were in diapers, and I had a crush on him for just as long. He was my best friend's older brother, someone I've known my whole life, so when he texted me to come tonight, I almost choked on my own spit. Tori insisted that I go, saying that tonight might be the night he finally made a move. I didn't agree, but I couldn't resist the urge to see what the night had in store for me.

The music was even louder on the inside, the bass making my bones shake. I cringed at the headache already forming in my skull. Despite being a junior and living in this town my whole life, this was evidently the first time I've been invited to one of Mandy’s parties. She was known for her out-of-control social gatherings, pictures and videos often making their way around town for everyone to witness. Drunk high schoolers stumbled their way in and out of the house, several colored cups in hands, the liquid inside sloshing around and ending up on the floor. A ping pong table was set up to the side of the house by the sliding doors, the pool behind it filled with familiar faces. I kept walking, careful not to bump into anyone, as I looked for Carson. How could I possibly find him when seemingly the entire high school was here?

“Lexi!” Someone called my name, and I spun around to find Kayla and Jessie waving me over. I paused, a strange sensation of fear coursing through me. Kayla and Jessie were Mandy's best friends, and while we lived in the same town and went to the same school, we were not close. They strutted towards me when I didn't move, their smiles making the hair on my neck stand on end.

“I can't believe you actually came!” Kayla laughed, her voice reaching me over the blaring music, her tone making me shiver.

“I didn't think you would show, but I guess Mandy was right. You are desperate.” Jessie cackled, wrapping her arm around my shoulders and steering me towards a crowd in the living room.