Chapter 8

The world slowed to a stop and for an entire minute, I blanked out. The sounds around me thinned to resounding silence, my vision altering until the sights around me grew hazy, getting replaced by events that happened fourteen years ago.

I saw myself sitting in the scanty reception area of a place mum called a special clinic. Clutching Mr fuzzy, my stuffed rabbit, I'd stared at the placard on top of the door that read, Mr. Trenton, and waited for her to come out.

I remember thinking the place didn't smell like a hospital. At that time, it had meant a good thing.

Minutes later, a tensed-looking mum marched out. Before I could utter a word she grabbed my arm with a muttered, 'Come along now.'

Hours later, when I was seated on the kitchen counter, she'd set the drugs down before me, staring into my eyes in the way that told me she was about to be serious. I had dropped my crayons.

'Now listen to me, Lenore,' she'd said. 'The doctor's just confirmed that you're... sick. Now don't you worry, baby. You'll be fine as long as you take these drugs and don't come in contact with any plants. Understand?'

Over the years she further explained I had a rare genetic disorder. My system would exacerbate the symptoms of a simple plant allergy, making it life-threatening.

At present, I brought my eyes back to the man before me. My voice cracked a bit when I said, "You're lying. My mother... She wouldn't..." I caught myself. I thought I heard a hint of doubt in my voice. To be in doubt meant I believed this man, this... vampire.

No. My mother wouldn't poison me. She might not like me, but she didn't hate me.

I locked gazes with him. "You're lying."

He didn't bat an eye. In a tone lacking emotion, he said, "The symptoms of this 'illness', have you experienced any of them before?"

A painful pause. I didn't even know what they were.

But I didn't voice that out to him. There was, however, an error in his words and I pointed it out, "You say these medications are designed to 'poison' me. I've been taking them for over fourteen years, how come I'm not dead yet?"

His fingers closed around a bottle. What he said next had me freezing: "The human part of you isn't."

My stomach bottomed out. "Are you... are you suggesting that I'm not...human?"

"Yes."

My head swam. "I think... I think you should leave." He was insane.

He just stood there.

My nerves strung tight. "Leave. Your claims are outrageous. First, you accuse my mother of poisoning, and now you say I'm not... human?"

When he didn't show any sign of budging, I spun around, going for the door. "You know what, you can stay here if you want. I don't w--"

Before I got to the door, he traced to materialize in front of me. With a gasp, I shot backwards.

His huge frame blocked my exit. Holding my gaze, he said the words that suddenly had my world stopping, "I know about your past."

I stilled.

"I understand what happened that night four years ago with Robert more than you do... And I know your father's whereabouts." Then he finished with, "He still lives."

I grew faint. It wasn't until the backs of my legs connected with my bed that I realized I'd been slowly inching backwards. away from the man, away from his outrageous claims. If what he said was true then he knew the gravity of his words, knew the shattering effect it'd have on me. But even as I felt my world turn in itself, he stood there, looking coolly composed, like he'd rather be anywhere else than in my crappy apartment.