Chapter 25

The next day was packed. After sword practice, I was bathed and led to the cabinet room for an introduction to Abberdin's history and a long lecture on its geography. Something in the class stuck with me though.

On coming here, Sigrid, the warrior that'd led me through the portal, had said there were seven cities in Abberdin. The Elder had only mentioned six, and when I asked of the seventh he had grown pale and tried to steer the conversion away from it. I made a note to ask Ysmay about it. She seemed the only one in the kingdom that was forthcoming about close-liped matters.

After the cabinet room came the library, and after a lengthy lesson on languages I was fitted into a riding habit and escorted to the ranch. Sebastian waited for me at the mounting block. His hair was loose today, the midnight black locks framing an expressionless face. His presence only brought forth the scene at the library. You know, the one he plainly told me I was a means to an end.

Now I was irritated, and like always, he didn't seem to care.

I did notice he was...gentle today. Guiding with smooth orders and quiet admonitions. By the time I'd made a couple of successful rounds on my horse, I felt the tension on my shoulders ebb. I even dared a smile down at him.

He got onto his horse and I was surprised when he said, "Follow me."

A quick glance back let me know no one had their attention on us. Sebastian led a path into the woods and I guided my horse through the tall trees, troding fig ladden routes. Badgers scrambled about and the chirps of birds followed us through the forest. Damp moss and the scent of pines spiked the crisp air, my senses opening up to the little sounds around us.

The sound of a running stream preceded our entrance to a little clearing. Sebastian alighted, motioning for me to do so. He tied the reins of our horses to a tree, leading the way to a spot underneath a cluster of canopies. I froze to a stop when I saw the setting.

A blanket had been laid out and on it was a basket filled with fruits and baked goods. I turned wide eyes to Sebastian and broke the silence I wasn't aware had been stretching, "I thought you weren't capable of acts of kindness."

"I'm not."

"So this is a date then?"

His expression didn't change as he strode over to the picnic and sat. He tapped the spot opposite him and said, "Come."

Walking up to him, I lowered myself before a large trunk. My gaze rapt on him, I asked quietly, "Why'd you do all this?"

Consider it a reward."

"For?"

"Going through today without losing your head."

My cheeks flushed. "Oh." Wind ruffled my hair and I tucked it behind my ear. "Although I was tempted quite a few times to just leave and never come back."

"Hopefully not out of Abberdin."

"No, I wouldn't be so lucky. Just my rooms. But... I'm starting to suspect that if I left the kingdom, my languages tutor wouldn't fail to chase me to the ends of earth and teach me." There was always that one teacher.

My heart stuttered when he cracked a smile for the first time.

He opened the basket and took out a sandwich, handing it to me while he went for a glass. I took the offered snack and part of me suddenly wondered if he'd done this as a way of apologizing for yesterday.