Chapter 43

My eyes fluttered open to the bright rays of the morning sun. A feeling of contentment settled in the middle of my chest and I turned my head to the side, expecting to see Sebastian. The area beside me was empty. I ran an open palm over the space, his scent lingering in the air. My stomach fluttered. A blush warmed my cheeks at the memory of what we'd done yesterday.

I felt a presence at the mouth of the cave. "Oh, good, you're awake."

Panic shot through me and I beat around frantically for my cloak. Sebastian had said not to show my face to the campers.

Unable to find it, I threw the blanket over me, saying in a muffled tone, "No. Not awake yet."

The woman chuckled and I froze to realize I recognized the sound. Leila.

Jealousy sparked. I felt like yelling at her to go away. But she leaned in further, her voice floating into the cave. "The men have gone hunting. The females are presently setting up a ramp for the games. We need more hands."

At present I wringed mine then after the silence had stretched more than it's due, i cleared my throat. "Okay, just give me a minute."

I felt her leave and I climbed up to my feet, searching around for my cloak. I found it bunched at a corner. Retrieving it, I put it on and made my way outside.

A few people were scattered around, closing up their tents and packing up. Leila led me over to where a total of three women sat constructing what looked like a large wooden sled.

Unable to stop myself, I slid a look at Leia's neck. The bite marks had faded but I could still make out two tiny red marks.

We came to a stop before the little group. "Good morning," she greeted. Leila motioned to me with a smile. "This is..."

She looked at me, questioning, but just as our eyes clashed I bowed it quickly, afraid she'd seen much of my face. "U-um, Ethel," I supplied.

"Okay, Ethel, these are Dela, Marie and Liliana."

I nodded, trying a smile. "Hi."

They nodded, appearing civil, but I could see the questioning glint in their eyes, the way they surreptitiously searched underneath the hood. I sat, starting to work at the other end of the sled.

Leila sat opposite me, making no effort to hide her curiosity. She peeked at me from under my hood. She sighed, "You must be a shy little thing."

My only response to that was to continue working in silence. I felt other gazes on me now.

"Well, we don't bite," she said conspirationally.

My voice came out tart. "I'm aware of that."

The others seemed surprised I'd spoken. Leila smiled. "What's the deal with your vampire?"

"He's not my..." I trailed off when I realized that wasn't true. He was beginning to mean something more to me.

Leila clapped her hands, eyes sparkling. "You both aren't together then. No wonder he drank from me. I hear most vampire lords are particular about the people they feed from. And your vampire had singled me out..."