Chapter 38

I felt like I was just going through the motions. The next day, Violette came in, took one look at my face and said, "Put a smile on that face. The queen's birthday is tomorrow."

My eyes widened. "What?"

"The queen's birthday is tomorrow," she repeated.

"And why am I being informed of that just now?"

She locked gazes with me. "It might have skipped you, considering you look like you have a lot on your mind since the vampire's return."

I looked away.

She laid down a baby pink dress on my bed. "And that's wrong."

"What?"

"Having the vampire in your thoughts. A union like that boarders on treason. As druids, we shouldn't have relations with the vampires."

Anger had me returning, "And would you dare tell your king that as well? Because he hired him to look after my well-being. He must at least have some measure of trust in 'the vampire'."

Looking like she had a lot to say, she just sighed. "His kind are not to be trusted."

She left and soon Ysmay walked in. "What's the near blind bat said to put you in a mood?" she asked.

"Ysmay, how come you didn't tell me the queen's birthday is tomorrow."

"What would it matter? She hates you."

"Exactly."

"What?"

"Exactly. She hates me. I need to change that."

Ysmay only blinked at me. "Well, what do you plan on doing then?"

"A gift." I held her gaze. "You're the queen's spy. Come on, tell me what she likes."

"You can not be serious."

"But I am." I looked away. "I know this is servile behavior, but I think... If I can get into her good graces, my life here wouldn't be so bad."

"This is not advisable, but"--she sighed--"If you must know, the queen is a devout collector of flowers. You'll get her plant instincts tingling by getting her one of the rarest flowers in Abberdin."

"That should be the white crusade." If the botany textbooks I'd crammed down held true.

Ysmay shook her head. "Close. But it's the black crusade."

"I haven't heard of that before."

"It's in the same species as the white crusade but different. It's so rare that it only exists in a separate realm."

I stood. "Then that's what we must do. Create a portal to take us there."

She stood as well. "Are you out of your mind?"

"I know Chapters have the power to open portals, perhaps we can get one to help us."

"I'm sorry, princess, but it appears you've lost me."