Chapter 11

I don't know for how long I stayed hunched over, but the rain relented and the skies opened up.

A speeding vehicle whizzed past, running over a shallow pothole and splashing water on my elderly neighbour who was just turning into the driveway. Clutching her grocery bags she did a sharp 360 and hurled curses at the driver who was already out of sight.

Muttering bitterly under her breath, she continued up the driveway, heading for her house. She came to a stop once she saw me. Her wrinkled face twisted. "Are you okay, missy?"

Wondering how stupid I looked, I rose to my feet even as my legs protested. "Y-yes."

Her eyes did a full sweep of my body before she turned away, transferring her grocery bags to the other hand as she dug in for her keys. Fitting it into the keyhole, she muttered, "Damn invasion. Driving everyone wonkers."

Once the door closed shut behind her, I started to pull myself together. What's the first thing one did after being disowned?

Stay disowned, I guess, but I will on my own terms.

With that thought in mind, I made my way across the parched lawn out front quietly, heading for the backyard. I went on high alert when I got to the rear windows, crouching low as I put one leg in front of the other heading for my room.

I was sneaking into my own home. It seemed odd to Eunice when I told her I'd never done that. With a shocked look, she'd gone, 'Girl, what you mean by that?!' I'd never stayed out late, never snuck out to a party to sneak back in, never disobeyed my mother. And the one time I did, it resulted in a colossal mistake.

In a way, I've never lived, restrained by a gnawing need to be the perfect child to the only parent figure I had in my life.

The trellis before me was missing more than a few balustrades. I silently weeded away some overgrown vines trying to heft myself up. Throwing a leg over, I went into my room.

I stopped short, my ears straining into the silence.

Slowly, a muffled sound floated into my ears. My heart clenched. Mum was crying.

I went about the room, throwing stuff into a travel bag. I changed out of my wet clothes and slipped an ATM card into the back of my jeans. Then I made a final stop at my bedside table.

Hunching, I took out the card the vampire had given me. Straightening, it went into my back pocket as well.

Slinging my bag over my arm, I looked around my room and had the sense I was looking at it for the last time. The future suddenly felt frightening. I should stay back. Beg for mum's forgiveness.

But even I realized the hopelessness in that. My nose stung, and before I could cry anymore, I turned and left the same way I came in.

About to go over the trellis, I stilled, remembering something. Going back in, I grabbed something else and put it into the pockets of my hoodie. I'll be needing that.

Over the trellis I went and across the front yard, trudging down the sodden driveway. Stopping by the curb, I bit my lips and slid out the card. Taking my phone, I dialed the number on there.

On a tensed breath, I listened as it dialed on for a few seconds before releasing a breath once he picked up.

"Eleanor."

My skin prickled with instant awareness and my cheeks heated. "Hi." My voice came out hoarse and that added to my embarrassment. "I... I think I've made up my mind," I finished quietly.

A pause. Again the bass of his voice sounded over the line. "My men will be with you in a moment."

Then the line went dead. Left to my own devices, I stared down the street and allowed my mind wander.