CHAPTER 9 - No More Lies

Alexander faked sleep as the other wizards came in for bed. At least, until one of them spoke, "We know you aren't asleep Arch Mage."

Alexander turned around in his bunk and sat up, "And?"

"Nothing... just letting you know." The Wizard who spoke was a teenager, around eighteen, "Why are you here anyway? Since you're awake and apparently up for conversation." He sat on the bed beside Alexander, facing him.

"Araneth is teaching me. And I didn't say I was up for anything."

"Ah but you're talking anyway. So you're the last one huh?"

The other Wizards gathered around.

"Yeah, how..."

"Word travels fast. Then there's magik and the like."

"Hmmm..." Alexander had an idea, it was worth a shot. "...what do you know about Matthew Salem?"

At the mention of the name, one of the Wizards stepped from the back of the group and spoke, "Mr. Salem is as much the father of us all, as Abraham fathered the twelve tribes of Judah. He was a mortal American at first, but rumor has it that Hecate fell in love with him and they...got together. It was said to be a love so powerful between the two that their first kiss sparked into him the Art of Magik. They traveled throughout the world gifting the Art of Magik to those who they thought worthy of its power. Though it is believed that Matthew's kind heart was what convinced Hecate to share her power with the mortals in the first place. But one day Hecate was dying. They were attacked by Odin's Valkyries and Hecate was fatally wounded. In a fit of rage, St. Matthew summoned demons that had not been seen on Earth since its beginning, and they chased the Valkyries to God knows where. Anyway, seeing Hecate dying, he used what little strength he himself had and summoned the Moirae, begging them to exchange his life for hers. ...and they did. But there was a catch. His role, or destiny as we call it, was too important to be cast aside, so when they took his life, Lachesis took his destiny and promised to renew the pattern so that the world would not fall out of balance. No one knows for sure what she did with it, all we know is that Hecate searched for decades for the eyes that would hold her lover's destiny, until she gave up and decided to protect the family they had created, which would be us."

Alexander was unsure if he understood what exactly this meant, so he decided there was one place he could start looking, "Does Hecate sleep?"

The first Wizard that had spoken was the one who replied, "No, she hasn't slept for as long as I've known her. And that's a long time."

"Good. Well, thanks for everything guys, but I've gotta go pest the old Witch." Alexander got up and walked pass them as they made way for him.

But just before he stepped through the wall, the same Wizard called out to him, "Wait, you haven't told us your name."

Alexander stopped and turned around with a smile just to see their reaction, "So you know I'm the Arch Mage but you don't know my name, huh? I wonder why they kept that from you... Well just so you know my name is Alexander, Alexander St. Matthew Salem." The revelation hit them all simultaneously as a look of shock and recognition came over their faces. Not wishing to linger any longer, as much as he would love to, Alexander continued through the wall and down the stairs. He had just opened the door to step out, when Hecate herself appeared before him and they both spoke at the same time,

"Just who I was coming to see."

"Okay then..." Alexander ignored the strangeness of what just happened and got on with his questioning, shutting the door behind him, "Why are you helping me if you don't trust Seth?"