CHAPTER 20 - By Order of Their Majesties

New Jerusalem

In the corner to the right of the entrance door, a patch of shadow rippled noiselessly and Samael walked out casually, concealing his rage. Only a fool would show anything but humility before the Tripartite. As Samael neared the large silver-patterned gold doors, Michael and Gabriel appeared before him out of thin air.

"What business do you have with Their Majesties?" Michael asked as he placed his right palm on Samael's chest.

Samael smirked and held his chin up towards the Archangel, "Still playing brawn for Our Fathers, Michael?" He spoke the Archangel's name with more venom than necessary.

"Answer the question, spy." Michael retorted.

"I spy for Their Majesties and answer only to them. Now step aside before we find our hierarchy with one less pair of wings."

"Brother," Gabriel intervened, "perhaps it is best we let him carry on. We need not cause unnecessary conflict."

Michael humbled himself and let Samael go. As the spy opened the doors, Michael whispered to Gabriel, "If only he knew..."

"Not now, brother. I fear dark days are coming, far darker than even the Revelation. Their Majesties may no longer be on the side of Good."

"What do you mean?" Michael felt a weight in his stomach as he listened to his brother.

"Darkness has crept along the shadows of our walls for millennia, many are too prideful or content to see it, but it is such blind faith that has allowed the darkness to spread. It grows stronger for ever shadow of doubt, for every twinge of fear and stirring of jealousy or dislike. You felt it too, did you not, when Samael insulted your position? There were times even you laughed at such secular responses from your enemies, then you would have proceeded to show them the light and truth that is the source of our strength."

"This is true. But has this darkness truly infiltrated even the hearts of Their Majesties? They, who were born without the mark of Original Sin? If it is so, then we must warn them, brother."

"I fear it is far too late. I recently learned that Lucifer never truly fell from Grace...he was working for Anaphaxeton himself."

"Blasphemy!"

"Shhh! Come, such truths are not easily believed through word-of-mouth alone, you must see it for yourself."

Purgatory

"What foul wrong has transpired here? Our Fathers did not create this land to be so used and neglected. 'twas a haven for the damned but hopeful, were it not, brother?" Michael and Gabriel stood at the edges of a fissure discovered in the realm of Purgatory almost a week ago if one measured time as the mortals did.

"Indeed it was, but it would seem our brother, Lucifer, saw to its currently undesirable state." Gabriel replied as they walked over the bodies of man and creature alike.

"But why, and how did you come by such unsettling truths?"

"There." Gabriel led Michael towards a creature who sat on a rock beneath the shadow of a lifeless cherry tree. Before Michael took another step, Gabriel stopped him, "Brother, take not pity, disgust or anger. Feel only love."

Nodding, Michael stepped forward and saw immediately that the being before him was their brother, Lucifer. His wings were really there, evidence that he had not fallen from Grace as they were all told. But even that betrayal was temporarily forgotten as Michael next noticed that Lucifer sat staring straight ahead with no expression except in his eyes. "What is he saying?" Michael asked Gabriel as he realized he could not understand the language Lucifer was muttering in.