CHAPTER 12 - The Calm before the Storm

"Hey umm, Sapphira...I need some advice on something." Alexander was not sure if anything in his head made sense at the moment, so he decided it was best to just go with whatever popped up first. And as Sapphira sat on the edge of a balcony on the western wing of the castle then turned to look at him, he was beginning to have second thoughts.

"Whoa. Bad idea dude." Marius was talking to Saiyan on the other end of the balcony when he overheard Alexander's request, "Never ask her for advice, she's not right in the head man."

Saiyan punched Marius' right arm lightly, "Hey I'd rather ask her for advice than Kyra. Now that's a bad idea.

Sapphira glared at them both before returning her attention to Alexander, "If it's girl problems hun, they're the last ones you'd wanna go to. In fact, don't go to them at all."

"Oh," Alexander corrected her, "it's not that..."

"Dear Gods he's gay!" Marius cried out in mock agony.

"No I'm not! Shut up will you!" On Alexander's command, Marius' voice vanished as he became mute. After a quick triumphant smile, Alexander turned back to Sapphira, "I wanted to know how you guys got so close. Like, when even now when they tease you, you put up with it and you're all friends anyway. How'd that happen?"

"Well we sort of grew up together." Sapphira replied, "Why?

"Cuz...well the ridiculously few friends I had before I was –before all this happened – are living their lives without me so...I've gotta make new friends."

"But with the clock ticking away our impending doom, it's impossible." Sapphira seemed to know what Alexander was thinking.

"Yeah...and I've just never had the kinda bond you guys have." He was thinking of Arianne, Leliel, Dora, Shift, Dennis and Kryss, and how they could use that friendship as well. It would help lighten any situation and get them through the down times. He had an idea, but it was so ridiculous, well what's life without trying..., "Do you think I could take a week away from all of this? I mean before we rush into panic as we watch our lives' precious seconds tick by and all..."

"I think that's a fantastic idea." Sapphira agreed.

"Absolutely NOT!" Seth appeared behind Alexander, who was now finally used to people phasing in and out of existence. "You can't just 'take a week off,' this isn't an occupation!"

"It sort of is, Seth." said Sapphira, "He has a title, 'Arch Mage'; and a duty, 'to save the Universe'; and for compensation he gets to save countless lives and give everyone a future."

Seth looked coldly into Sapphira's sea-blue eyes, "That kind of silly sunshine thinking is exactl..."

"Seth." Galicia had walked over to them and stopped beside Seth, placing a gentle hand on his right shoulder, "Let Alexander go... all we have been doing is pressuring him for days with a destiny he himself has not readily embraced. He only follows your orders because of the importance of them."

"And that's what matters Galicia, as long as he grasps the importance of his tasks."

"No, Seth." Galicia disagreed, "To be an Arch Mage means something different to each of us. Yes, we all share a common goal, but what drives us as individuals is what differs us from one another. I fight for my kingdom and my people, for the memory of my parents and for the bonds that I've lost and the ones others still share. Solomon fights for the lives he was unable to protect and for his faith. You know why you fight, Seth. Let him go... it will give him time to not only develop friendships, but to find his place in all of this."