CHAPTER 14 - Carpe Momento

Everyone was enjoying the day, despite the knowing dread that hung over them all as each second ticked closer towards the time when they would have to face the Whisperers. Right now however, they would enjoy this. Yet Alexander could not help but feel as though things were just too quiet, and he had seen enough movies and read enough novels to know that it was never a good sign when things were too quiet while danger loomed ahead.

As though summoned by his Alexander's own suspicions, a great shadow covered the forest and everywhere around them began to feel alive with a strange evil force that held an all too imposing glare. Shadows raced from the darkness beyond the trees and gathered before Alexander and the others, then took on the form of a human – Alexander's instinct knew otherwise.

"Lucifer hates nothing more than to be disappointed." Said the shadow, "But as I am sure you are all aware, it is not disappointment that has brought us to this moment." A blood red smile smirked across what would be the shadow's face, "No, I only get to leave His Diabolical Majesty's side on one circumstance only, when he wants to remove a nuisance. And believe me, very few things –never mind people- get on his nerves these days. So before I slaughter you all, I must thank you, for allowing me some...air. Now, shall we?"

In response to the shadow's request, the trees seemed to shiver as hundreds of demons stepped out of the darkness...and brought it with them. These were Darklyns, Alexander knew them as his mind drew what information it could from the Universe. Suddenly the shadow was gone and the Darklyns attacked with a thirst for blood that would have made even an army of giant tics and leeches bearable.

"Alexander!" Arianne manifested a strangely patterned blade and tossed it towards Alexander, who caught it just after jumping back to dodge the Darklyn that attacked him.

Alexander stared at the weapon's hilt and its sheath, both designed with intricately engraved depictions of an ancient language indecipherable even by his vast arcane knowledge. But as he held onto the hilt, his blood warmed and flowed stronger, revitalizing his heart and energizing his mind. This was nothing like using magik to heighten his senses. No, this was his. Alexander felt as though he lived his entire life with a vital limb missing, and now he found it.

As Alexander drew the sword from its sheath, the glyphs glowed the same color as his symbol and began to spread themselves along his right arm until it covered his entire torso right up to his neck. Then with a slight rumble, they turned black and inked themselves into his skin, the pupils of his eyes filled themselves with a neon blue that held the intensity of two balls of fire. The sheath vanished and reappeared strapped to Alexander's left side and a low growl of relief escaped his breath. Alexander had never felt freer as his hair lengthened down to his waist and turned blue while his muscles ached with an urge to fight.

Arianne smiled amidst the confusion of battle as she gazed upon Alexander's change and mentally projected to him, 'This is your true form as the Arch Mage Eternal, a gift from the Universe. Now save us...'

As if by her command, Alexander moved through the Darklyn invaders like a raging river, cascading upon his enemies with more force than even the Falls of Niagara. Four of the Darklyn warriors came charging towards Alexander from all sides. Barely moving, Alexander raised the blade as it hummed through his veins. The Darklyn to his right had his left arm cut off upwards, the blade descended diagonally through its torso from its neck, then towards the Darklyn in front. There Alexander pulled back, straightened the blade parallel to the ground, and thrust it into that Darklyn's stomach, twisting the blade and pushing it upwards right through to the top of its head. Alexander moved his hand to the right, grabbed the hilt with his left hand, rotated the hilt so that the blade pointed to his left, and then swiftly brought it down into the left Darklyn's esophagus. He yanked out the blade and turned to face the fourth Darklyn who stood timidly behind him. The Darklyn turned to flee, but Alexander reached out with his left arm, palm open, and held him with an unseen force. Slowly the Darklyn began to turn blue from the inside, frost coated his hairs, and his skin began to harden until the Darklyn became a hovering ice sculpture. Alexander cocked his head to the right and smiled before closing his palm with a force that crushed the Darklyn, shattering him into thousands of ice shards.