CHAPTER 17 - The End?

Who-or what-ever that woman was, James was not willing to find out how much worse their situation could possibly get, Kyra and Genisis were still on the outside of the Church casting a shadow veil to prevent the mortals from seeing what was really happening on their holy ground. Saiyan and Sapphira were working as a team to drown and electrocute the creatures in groups, while Shift knocked or threw those he could into a whirlwind of blades Marius had conjured, and the dragons guarded the exits. But it still was not enough, the portal remained open... "And the bad guys just keep coming, James. Are we gonna do this or what?!" Pyro urged as he was almost overwhelmed by a barrage of swords, axes, halberds and arrows. The arrows were coming from the winged archers who screeched as they fired so their comrades could join in on the onslaught of whichever target was identified.

"Fine." James decided, "Marius we need a funnel, a big one!"

"Got it!" Marius shouted back as he widened his whirlwind and reversed the size of its upper and lower sections, making it into a cone, "Now what?"

"Shift, Arianne and Leliel!" commanded James, "grab as many as you can and throw 'em under! Saiyan, we need static in that funnel! Sapphira and Alexander, get me some hot air from the ground up!" As James requested, each person moved swiftly, knowing that whatever he planned may very well be their last chance at getting out of this catastrophe alive.

Alexander waited until sapphire had bonded enough hydrogen and oxygen atoms into the ground, soaking the soil. He could not help but think of how much this place will stink by tomorrow, assuming that not every corpse in the graveyard had decomposed as far as having just the bones left. Shaking off the thought, Alexander began to heat the bonded molecules as quickly as he could without evaporating them instantly. As the steam rose it was pulled into Marius' funnel, which was now had sparks of electricity all over it from the weapons and bodies that brushed its edges. It was an odd sight, seeing them surrounding the funnel with palms outstretched: on each corner there was Sapphira, Saiyan, Marius, and Alexander himself. Each contributing in their own way, each playing their part, Alexander was witnessing true friendship even as Arianne, Shift and Leliel, worked to support them.

Everything was ready now, just two more details, "Everyone get rid of your armor, Saiyan I need you to magnetize the charges so we can get the rest of these bastards!" All at once their armor was gone and robes manifested in their place. All that was left to take care of was that bi...

"This insolence will not stand!" Lilith screamed as her 'pets' we dragged, thrown, and pulled into the funnel.

"Pyro, we'll take over the heat from Alexander until we're ready to burn." James then turned to Alexander, "Hey! Arch Mage, would you mind shutting her up?"

"Not a problem." Alexander replied. This time he would not be rushing in with bravado. Releasing the molecules from his mind, Alexander focused on the Elderwitch hovering above. He could see dark energies rushing toward her from the portal, she was conjuring something, and it was going to be big.

"Oh no you don't!" Alexander manifested a spear and threw it towards the Elderwitch, but instead of hitting her it was pulled immediately into the funnel, "Right...magnetized, I'm such an idiot." So this'll be magic only then. This time flew up to her altitude, "Go home witch!" '...please' Alexander thought.

"Yuh cross mi path fah di last time, child." The dark energies began pulsating around the Elderwitch.

"I'm not a child!" Alexander sent out a stream of energy at the same time the Elderwitch attacked with hers, but she outmatched him and blasted the Alexander out of the sky. Unconscious, Alexander fell fast and the flag pole by the church went right through his abdomen, the impact slowing him down as his body slid downward and left a trail of blood.