The Lanterns

This chapter has a part that might not be okay for sensitive viewers. Just a heads up.

Enjoy.

xxxxxXxxxxx

In the back of the monkey gang's van, MK and Taro sat side by side on the floor with countless drawings littered around them. "So I just add some shading here and...done?" Asked Taro, with Zi on his shoulder, raising a brow as he held up a piece of paper with a horrible drawing to MK.

MK put his hand on his chin and hummed as he stared at the drawing with a serious expression. "The lineart is pretty sloppy." Commented the Monkie Kid narrowing his eyes. "2 out of 10." Taro flinched before he turned the paper around to stare deeply into his drawing with a frown.

"I concur, it's absolutely hideous." Added Zi in disgust as he averted his eyes from the drawing, causing Taro to glare at him.

"Wow, Taro, you're a lot more chill today. What happened?" Asked Mei cheerfully with a bright smile, having watched the scene unfold before her eyes.

"I've learned to channel my emotions into healthy habits," Taro replied with  a shrug. "like making bad drawings and stress eating." He added before he suddenly pulled out a bowl of noodles from nowhere and started slurping noodles like a vacuum, prompting MK, Mei and Zi to give him concerned looks.

Suddenly, Tang entered the scene with a smile. "Oooh, did you two make any drawings of me?" He asked, hope appearing in his tone.

"Yeah. They're over there." Replied MK nonchalantly as he gestured towards a pile of ugly Tang drawings. "I didn't like how any of them turned out, though. It was hard to make you look, uh, cool. You know, you get it."

"What? But I'm like the coolest guy you know." Replied Tang in shock, causing Taro to flinch.

"What?" The peach boy exclaimed in shock before turning to his little bro. "MK, you think I'm cooler than him; right?" He asked pointing at Tang causing the man to gasp.

"Hey guys. Land ho!" Sandy called out to everyone, prompting them to come and look at the beautiful scenery of the lantern city. They all stared in awe, even Taro and Zi before the peach boy's eyes suddenly glowed pink as they went empty.

The peach boy let out a sound of confusion as the scenery disappeared into blackness and was replaced with the vision of an alleyway under a large bright lantern. Taro's eyes widened in shock before his vision returned to normal. The peach boy gasped for breath as he cupped his face. "It looks like Zao is pretty close by." Said Taro's hallucination clone with a smirk. "Good time to have another fight and ruin our friendship even more." Taro almost jumped back hearing the voice of his doppelganger, causing the hallucination to smile. "What? Did you think I was gone already just because I took a little break? Don't worry, I'm not leaving you unlike your so called "friend"."

Taro's expression twisted with anger. "SHUT UP!" He snapped angrily.

Everyone gave Taro odd looks. "Uhh, kid? Nobody said anything." Said Pigsy raising a brow, causing Taro to smile nervously as he glanced at his doppelganger.

"You okay, Taro?" Asked Mei raising a brow as MK turned to his big bro with an innocent expression. Zi quickly patted his companion on the head comfortingly before the peach boy spoke.

"I'm fine-" Taro blurted instinctively with a smile before pausing and donning a serious expression mixed with regret. "Okay, how do I say I'm SUPER not fine without worrying anyone?"

Everyone gave Taro a worried look.

xxxxxXxxxxx

In the alleyways of the Lantern City, a familiar silver furred dog layed on the ground with a lethargic expression. It was Zao. The manic dog let out a deep yawn before getting off the ground.