chapter ten

BROKEN - BROOKE BUTLER
"and you're trying to breathe but you can't find air, and you're wishing you could be anywhere but here"

BROKEN - BROOKE BUTLER"and you're trying to breathe but you can't find air, and you're wishing you could be anywhere but here"

920 - 283- 1044

hey ari

hey

goodluck on ur game today

thanks? how'd yk

austin invited me, u didn't know ?

oh. no i didn't well
it's good, i'll see u there

yeah fs

ARIA WALKED INTO austin's room . "you invited tyler to my game?"

" i didn't even know you guys still talked " she sat on the edge of his bed crossing her arms . "when i found out he was texting you , i got excited . he was my best friend you know" he rolled his eyes .

"but you know nelson will be there , and you know he's my ex" .

"yeah but like i said, he was MY bestfriend" aria just looked at him , knowing she was in the wrong . "plus i haven't told anyone, and you're the one who hasn't told nelson your ex was back in town, and y'all are texting"
his sister stayed quiet

"exactly, your day is finna be messy " it was her turn to roll her eyes , "you're right" she sighed , walking out.

tyler and aria dated for one year , they started their relationship on 2/22/22 .tyler was her first kiss , her first real boyfriend . their relationship was going strong until tyler had to move in february 2023. even though she loved nelson with all her heart , tyler was first . even when nelson and aurora first met , she was dating tyler . she knew he would recognize him at the game , and she was nervous for what was going to happen . it would be different if they broke up on bad terms , but they were really just torn apart unwillingly . so the love was still there , atleast for tyler it was . he came back with the intention of getting back together , so he was hurt to find out she found a new boy . though , he was determined to change her mind .

aria and her family arrived at the park where her flag football game was taking place . cam , marie , and ray had also shown up to film and watch her . her step dad was her coach , they always joked because her coaches are always family members . she headed to warm-ups . while going back and forth with her catching partner . she looked around at the stands , she locked eyes with nelson . him and his family sat next to hers , he smiled at her , his smile brought a smile to her face . she ignored the guilty feeling in her stomach , when eyes wandered to the entrance and saw tyler walking in . she watched as nelson spotted him , furrowing his eyebrows looking back at her but she turned away quickly . the game was starting .

"yo why is tyler here?" nelson tapped austin on the shoulder , cam turned cause he was confused too . " i invited him . sorry , me & him are still friends yk" nelson nodded understanding but cam didn't "ari was okay with it?" , austin looked around not knowing what to say " i mean idk" he shrugged .

tyler made his way up saying hi to the rosewood family , then introduced himself to nelson's family which made nelson think what the fuck . "what's up man" nelson tried being nice , but tyler ignored him and sat on the other side of austin . nelson's mouth dropped slightly , as well as cam's .

"aria really dated that lil boy" cam leaned down whispering to nelson , "who knows what she was thinking" he replied watching his girl on the field .

it was the 3rd quarter and aria was on the field, she threw the football and got her team some yards closer to the end zone. she heard cheers from the stands but more specifically 2 familiar voices , she didn't bother to look . she continued on with her game

while ... nelson noticed the shirt tyler was wearing , his jaw dropped . he elbowed cam and pointed to the shirt , both cam and ray raised their eyebrows at arias ex- boyfriend . he had shown up in a shirt with her jersey number & a heart on it . nelson was wearing one too , but his was newer and matched with everyone else's .

"where did you get that shirt tyler?" nelson asked in a friendly tone , not wanting to start anything , yet . the boy turned to him "when we were dating , before you came " he replied almost harshly . nelson's mouth dropped again . "yea well sucks to be the ex she doesn't want around huh" he shot back . everyone's eyes widened , noah , avery , niles , cam , marie , ray , and austin watched the two , waiting to see what tyler would say . " seems like she does since we've been texting for the past 2 weeks " avery and austin face palmed , while gasps were heard . nelson didn't know what to say , " but i bet you didn't know that huh" tyler added .

nelson got up mumbling "bitch" he walked up a couple of bleachers were the parents were , he sat next to his mom and didn't say anything . he felt stupid , the reason aria was so focused on her phone in atlanta was because of a boy he thought she was over with .

aria won her game and she walked out to where her family was , she got anxious when everyone acted awkward around her , except the parents . though they still congratulated her , she ignored tyler and went up to nelson hugging him . "hey can we talk?" he asked her , pulling away . she knew , he knew . she took a deep breath , nodding . he pullled her away from everyone .

"have you been texting him?" , aria avoided eye contact , he stared at her waiting for an answer to a question he already knew , he wanted to hear her admit it . " yes ..." nelson sighed .

"but not like that , just as friends" .

"why didn't you tell me? you were texting him the whole time in atlanta . you paid more attention to your phone than me" his voice was calm , she knew he was hurt .

"im sorry . i didn't want you to think anything , i wasn't gonna cheat and im still not" it was silent for a couple seconds.

"look aria, i know he's back in town and idk if you still like him or what , but you haven't been focused on us at all these past days" her face dropped , she knew where this was going but she didn't want to believe it . " i think we should take a break"

"just a little bit of time to focus on ourselves . you need it , we can try again when you're ready. " he pulled her in for a hug and gave her a kiss before walking away .

aria walked to her car ," what's wrong , why are you crying" her mom turned around from the passenger seat . austin and tyler watched , her brother feeling guilty , while tyler felt relieved . her whole family looked concerned . even avery watched from the very back
she didn't say anything .

they got home and she went to her room , she took a long shower to think . she knew it was her fault. she should've ignored tyler when he first contacted her . she should've treated nelson better .

she got out and got ready to just lay down & calm down . she turned pretty little liars on , her mom walked in .

"do you want to tell me what happened?" she layed down on the other side of arias bed .

"we're taking a break , he said" aria told her mom , her eyes still red . "i've never seen him that serious before"

"maybe it's for the best , cassie will understand , he understands , we understand . you need to focus on yourself , your mind is all over the place" katelyn told her daughter , "i also think it helped you realize that it's time to leave tyler in the past . i thought he was your first love , but then i saw how you were with nelson and my mind changed . i know you love him mama. i've been there before . he will be back i promise , but for now you need to love yourself ."

aria didn't answer but she took her words in , katelyn kissed her forehead and walked out . aria sighed , she fell asleep thinking about the boy she really loves . and it's not tyler .