✧Regression To The Mean✧

Chapter 2 ✧Regression to the Mean✧

Sitting alone in the back of Stiles' jeep, I slid my cellphone back into it's rightful spot, my pocket. While I had been on the phone with Isaac, assuring him that the flight and my arrival home had been alright, Stiles and Scott sat at the hood of the car, a map spread out in front of them. Behind the jeep was Liam, chained against a tree as the full moon beat down on him.

I turned to look out the back window at the younger werewolf, who was looking completely done with everything. From what I could tell, he wasn't struggling nearly as much as he had his first full moon. Unlike that train wreck of a night, tonight's full moon wasn't completely kicking Liam's butt.

Carefully, I got out of the jeep, stepping up towards Stiles and Scott. Stiles was saying something about checking out the east bay while Scott stared off into the full moon, making me wonder if it was having any kind of effect on him.

"Can you feel it?" I questioned the true alpha.

The two boys looked at me, there eyes wide with shock for a second before settling back to there normal size. They'd been like that for the past few hours, still getting used to me returning home. Honestly, I was still adjusting back to the swing of things to. France and Beacon Hills were quite different, and I don't just mean time zone wise.

Stiles gave me a weary smile, the kind he'd always force onto his lips when he trying to pretend like he wasn't over analyzing something. Scott looked at me with his soft brown eyes, his head shaking to dispute my question.

"I was just thinking." The tanner of the two explained.

"About what?" Stiles questioned, placing his red pen down on the hood of his car. I stepped in closer, leaning against the jeep next to Stiles.

Scott looked over at us, answering, "Senior year."

"Senior year?" Stiles repeated. "Come on, that, that's nothing. That's gonna be easy."

"More like something Deaton told me once." Scott sat up straighter, apparently ready to indulge himself into the conversation. I let out a content sigh, feeling at home next to the two boys as the werewolf confessed his true feelings. "Have you guys ever heard of regression to the mean?"

I shook my head, Stiles told his best friend that he didn't think so. At this point, I was barely aware of Liam who was still chained up behind us.

"It was his way of saying that life can't ever be all bad or all good. You know, eventually things have to come back to the middle." Scott elaborated and I found myself nodding along to what he was saying. "So, think about the last few months. Things have been good, right? But not amazing."

"Yeah, but no one's tried to kill us in six months." Stiles pointed out.

"Which I really appreciate." I mumbled. Not almost dying a couple times a week was really soothing for the soul. Also, it worked wonders on calming a teenager with horrible anxiety.

"Right." Scott nodded his head. "We've been pretty much in the middle. Which means at some point, the scale is going to have to tip one way or the other. Things are going to get really good again-"

"Or really bad." I said, finishing his sentence. I let out a sigh, my eyes falling down to look at my hands. I didn't want to say anything to Scott and Stiles, mostly because they didn't know how much I've really changed, but I was worried that if things did go really bad that it would be because of me. Would it have been smarter if I had just stayed in France with Isaac?