✧Read Your Heart Out✧

Chapter Sixteen ✧Read Your Heart Out✧

If anybody heard that I was having a bunch of friends over for a book club meeting at my house later today, it would've seemed absolutely normal. But this reading session was going to be unbelievable far from normal.

For starters, the book that was going to be the center of attention was one written about the Dread Doctors by a guy with a third eye that Scott and the others had gone to see in Eichen House. Then there was the fact that Scott had asked me to stay home tonight with them and look out for anything that happened to them while they read it, because this book was supposed to trigger a forgotten memory somehow involving the Dread Doctors. Luckily, Malia would be there with me, too, as a supervisor in case anything goes wrong seeing as she already read the book and relived the awful memory of her mom and sister dying in a car accident. 

Tonight was going to be fantastic. And by fantastic I meant surely a disaster. 

But right now, I wasn't thinking about tonight. Instead, my mind was dwelling on the events from the night before. When I'd woken up this morning, I'd really hoped the cemetery and Genevieve had all been a really messed up dream, but it wasn't. The locket that was on my dresser was proof of that. 

While I should've been getting ready for school, I'd been spending my time trying to open the locket. It was an impossible task. I could see clearly how and where it was supposed to open, but it just didn't seem to want to. I thought of asking Scott for help, but I didn't want to have to face his questions on where I'd gotten the necklace from. So instead, I had a still unopened locket practically burning in my pocket and close to none of my homework done. 

Even so, as I sat in the library, I wasn't attempting to catch up on the work I was now very much behind schedule on. Instead, I sat at a computer in a corner far from prying eyes doing research on a subject I didn't know if I wanted to learn about. 

Giving an anxious side-glance to my surroundings, not that anyone would be interested in what I was looking up, I slowly typed in the name 'Genevieve Carodine' into the search engine. 

I was expecting much. Actually, I wasn't really expecting anything. Genvieve had died in the late eighteen hundreds, so I didn't think there was going to be any records of her, at least nothing that would do me any good. I was shocked to see how wrong I was. 

It wasn't like I was suddenly flooded with information, but I did find something that struck my interest. Genvieve Carodine was in fact a real life resident of Beacon Hills back in the eighteen-hundreds, which was a relief to know that she wasn't just a figment of my borderline hysterical imagination. The weird thing about Genevieve's existence was that as far as I could tell, she had no family. There was no information on her parents, or any siblings, and most of all nothing on her ever getting married or having kids, even though I distinctively remembered Genevieve mentioning her children. 

After looking for a while more, I found a picture of Genevieve. I clicked on it immediately, blowing up a grainy black-and-white picture of a woman. She looked to be in her thirties. She had a long high-collared white dress was draped around her tall, thin figure. Her eyes looked like they were completely black, which matched her dark bangs draping over her forehead. The rest of her hair was pulled back, leaving her sharp features to stick out.