✧The End✧

Chapter Twenty - Seven ✧The End✧

I seemed to suddenly be all to aware of every single bone in my body as I was thrown by the Dread Doctor against the wall. As I crashed against the floor, everything suddenly ached, not just because I had been literally thrown through the air into a pile of bricks but also because my body - no, my soul felt like it had been drained. The life line that connected me to, well, me suddenly felt severed and I knew I didn't have it in me to get myself up off the ground, much less cause any more water pipes to burst. 

It took me a moment to catch my breath and concentrate enough to open my eyes. I almost wish I hadn't because laying just a few feet away from me was Hayden. Her eyes were glazed over with mercury and some of the silver substance trickled from her lips. I knew without a doubt that Hayden was dead. 

A body hurried to kneel in front of me. I pried my eyes away from Hayden and realized Liam was trying to help me up. I let him. 

When I was back on my feet I looked around. There were no Dread Doctors in sight, but that wasn't a surprise. They had gotten what they wanted, they'd killed Hayden. Once again, we had failed to stop them. Once again, somewhere I had desperately wanted to protect was killed. 

As Liam attempted to steady me, Scott and Theo rushed over to us. They both looked tired out, but neither seemed to be gravely injured. At least they were okay. 

"What happened?" Scott asked. His voice seemed farther way then I knew he was. I frowned and narrowed my eyes at him, but that only made him and our surroundings hazier. 

"I don't know," Liam admitted. "But I don't think she's okay." 

At first, I was going to tell them that Hayden definitely was not okay, she was dead, but then I realized they were talking about me. Next, I realized that Liam was totally right, I felt the opposite of okay. I felt my body begin to teeter and if it wasn't for Liam, I would've fallen back to the floor. 

Theo stepped closer to me, and for the tenth time that day I couldn't read his expression. However, this time it wasn't because he was hard to read so much as being becuase I couldn't really make out his face. 

"I can't see anything broken," Theo noted. I felt his hand lightly touch the side of my face, then my arm, as if checking for injuries. "But she doesn't look good," He continued. "I don't know what wrong with her, but she's going to need help." 

"Get her to the animal clinic. I'll meet you guys there," Scott decided. I didn't have the strength to move my head and try to look at him, but I could here the worry in his voice. 

I felt my body although I knew I wasn't the one moving it. Arms were wrapped around me and suddenly I was moving through the nearly empty nightclub. Liam was apparently carrying me out to Theo's truck. 

When we got in the truck, Liam held me tightly to his body. Everything seemed to get blurrier, ike the world around me was fading. Or maybe I was the one fading. Either way, it was beginning to feel like the only thing that I could still really feel was Liam's pounding heartbeat as my head laid on his chest. I felt his grip on me tighten as if it was the only thing that was keeping me together. I think maybe it is. 

I didn't realize my eyes were slowly shutting until Theo spoke up from where he was in the front seat. 

"I don't think it's a good idea to let her fall asleep," he said. 

Liam shifted as he tried to sit me up some. "Hey, Charlotte. I know you must be tired, but you're not going to fall asleep right?" 

I nodded, but my eyes were still half closed despite my best efforts.