82. Meri Annapurna

Daksh

Today Dadi sa organised Sathyanarayan Katha for us as it is considered to be auspicious for the newlyweds. Chaitra's family reached in the early morning as their presence was required for the Puja. The priest recited the tales depicting the greatness of lord Sathyanarayan and the greatness of performing this Puja. At the end of the Puja, they blessed us with new clothes and couple bracelets as a part of the tradition. 

Chaitra was then asked to prepare a sweet dish for her pehli rasoi. She happily obliged and walked to the kitchen taking Maithri along with her. Maithri is the silent one among all my monkey cousins and they would leave her back most of the time for various reasons. But I, Rohan, and Nithi Di always made sure not to let her feel left out. I always took her out whenever those idiots left her back. Seems like My Jaan too is doing the same.

I had a great urge to just walk into the kitchen and pull her into a tight hug but I couldn't do that as everyone here was talking to me and I was currently the center of attention. Maithri came out after a while saying Chaitra was done with cooking and she asked all of us to join at the table.

I was quite excited to see what she would prepare and my ears perked as the sound of her anklets and bangles intensified as she walked out of the kitchen with two dishes in her hands. I followed the rhythmic sway of her waist as she took slow steps toward the dining table with a sweet smile plastered on her lips and beads of sweat shining on her countenance like precious pearls. Her hair is now sticking to her neck and forehead. She looked at me with a smile giving me a chance to drown in those beautiful eyes before turning her gaze onto the dishes as she placed them on the table.

I stood up from my place and moved to her who was standing on the other side of the table. I held her face in one hand earning a confused yet curious look from her before pulling out my handkerchief from my pocket and wiping the sweat from her forehead and face. I then pulled the clutcher out of Akansha's hair who was sitting nearby and set her hair up with a clutcher, rolling it a little before tucking it.

"Bhai!" Akansha whined looking at me with a pissed look.

"Go get another one," I shrugged before giving a gentle nod and a squeeze on the shoulder to my pretty wife as I guided her to my chair. 

"What did you cook, Bahu?" Dadi sa asked eyeing the dishes covered with lids. I was equally excited to see what my wife made. I want to taste it so badly.

"It smells really good, beta," Maa sa appreciated. Chaitra muttered a small 'thank you maa' with a shy smile. 

"Now let us complete our breakfast quickly so that we can taste our bhabi maa prepared for us," Abhi chirped excitedly and everyone started eating their breakfast quickly.  I was the first one to complete my breakfast as I wanted to taste her sweet dish first.

"Chaitra, serve your husband first. He looks quite excited," Papa commented. I could feel my ears turning red but I didn't reply anything to his words as everyone else chuckled at me and my wife who was blushing more than me.

She picked the first bowl and served Mawa Mishri on my plate making me smile in delight. It is my favorite Rajasthani sweet dish. She then served some other sweet dish to me in another bowl. She kept both the bowls in front of me and then moved to others to serve them all. Once she was done serving everyone, she sat back at her place which was beside me.

"What is this sweet called?" I whispered leaning to her ear. 

"Paramannam. I made it with the rice grains we bought from Hyderabad after taking blessings from god," She explained. I nodded at her and prayed to God before tasting Paramannam first. She ate a spoon of Mewa Mishri first.