CHAPTER TWO

CHAPTER TWO

My mom always wanted us to live under the same roof because it looked good to be one big, happy family. It had worked, for the first year that we lived here, and then my oldest brother, Colton, got left at the altar and my mom couldn't do anything to stop him from leaving. Now he lives all by himself in the city. It made me wonder if I would have to be left at the altar to leave this house too.

Despite everything, I loved my family but living with my mom was starting to become unbearable. Some days, I dreaded coming home. My dad was the only reason I hadn't moved out but with him being gone all the time...well I was starting to think about moving out. I felt bad for Nick and Rachel. Mostly for Rachel. Nick was my mom's favorite and he had agreed to stay even after he got married. My mom had made him of course, and Nick, to avoid arguments, had agreed to stay. My mom wasn't fond of Rachel. Basically, she wasn't fond of any of my brothers' girlfriends. In her eyes, none of them were worthy of them.

"Hannah."

I stopped on my tracks. It was Saturday afternoon and I was on my way out the door. I wanted to go to the bookstore, my idea of a good Saturday. I turned around, noticing my dad for the first time. I thought he was sleeping considering the fact he had just gotten here last night. I smiled as I walked back to him and kissed his cheek. "Hey, dad."

"You're going out?" he asked, standing up.

I nodded. "Yeah, I was gonna go find Robin."

He shook his head. "Nathan will be with you today."

I gulped at the sound of his name. "But I told you I don't like Nathan." I reminded him.

"Hannah, this isn't about you having to like your bodyguards. It's about your protection and Nathan is one of the best."

I narrowed my eyes. "But I don't like him."

He raised his eyebrow. "Why? Did he do something to you?"

I stared at him for a moment and then finally sighed. "No, he didn't. Whatever, I'm leaving." I said suddenly feeling annoyed.

"Be careful." He called back behind me.

"Yeah." I said before making my way out. Two black cars were parked outside. One of them was empty and Nathan was standing by the other one.

My hands suddenly felt sweaty and my heart was beating hard against my chest. Maybe I didn't need to go out after all. I could say home, re-read one of the books I had...

Suck it up Hannah.

Nathan looked up and met my gaze. To say that I had been avoiding him was an understandment. Ever since he started working here, I always thought he was the most handsome one out of the others. How could he not be? With his perfect height and short black hair and with those mesmerizing green eyes and muscular arms...He was perfectly good looking.

That wasn't the problem...the problem was that I kissed him. It was a few months ago, right after my breakup, and I hadn't been able to look at him in the eye...until now.

"Ready to go?" he asked me with that stupid amused look he had on his face whenever he talked to me, as if making fun of me. He probably was. He opened the door for me.

I nodded. "Yes." I said making my way into the backseat. He shut the door and I followed him with my eyes as he walked around the car and got in the driver's seat.

"Where are we headed?" he asked glancing at me from the rearview mirror.

I looked down at my lap. "To the bookstore, please."