Chapter 3 - Home Too Late

• Dedicated to Little "O" - For encouraging my stories.

BJ checked the clock again.  It was almost 8:00.  He thought about his argument with Berkley before he left for work.  She wanted to go back to school and get a job.  He knew she would leave him eventually, if she managed to save a little money.  His temper had almost reached full capacity this morning.  Now that he was home and she was nowhere to be found, he was ready to explode.

He knew she would leave him if she had the money.  He couldn’t allow that.  If not for all the guys on campus, at least one in particular, he might let her go to school.  It costs money to go to school and she would need him that much more.  But deep down, he really didn’t want her on campus so she would have to settle for online classes.  She had a small group over to study last semester eventually they fizzled out but  some loser couldn’t keep his eyes off of her.  That was the breaking point for BJ. He couldn’t swing by the gym after work with that guy wanting to come over all the time to study. 

The door opened.  He checked the time.  “It’s 8:13 where the heck have you been?”  
He glared before getting to his feet and lunging towards her.

“I went to the Cantina and picked up supper.”  She said knowing she was busted.

“I’ve been waiting an hour and fifteen minutes.  I could have walked to the Cantina and back three times already!”  She was seeing someone.  He just knew it.  She had been acting strange all week.

“I ran into some of the neighbors and lost track of the time.”  Berkley was a terrible liar.

“You’re lying to me Berk.  Are you seeing that guy from your study group?”

“Eric?”  She laughed at the thought.  Eric was sweet but so not her type.  Maybe he should have been she paused to wonder.  Was BJ really her type, controlling, obsessive and as of late violent?  He was so much fun when she first met him.  He was a friend of a friend of a friend.  They all met up for a night on the the town and she had been drawn to him instantly.  He was the life of the party and somehow, he managed to keep her by his side the entire evening.  He was a lot of fun to be around and she had to admit a little sexy. 

Being on the rebound, she fell prey to his charms.   They visited three clubs that night.  Dancing together at all three, the sensations his body stirred in her with his sensual bump and grind was only the appetizer for the make out sessions they had in Jason’s car between clubs.  When the night came to an end, he offered to take her home, but she knew he would have wanted to stay.  She wasn’t into random hook ups and she was living with her brother.  Garrett would never have allowed it.  They exchanged phone numbers instead and here they are today in a volatile relationship on the brink of destruction. 

“Yes, Eric.” B.J. glared.

“No.  I haven’t talked to Eric since I dropped out.”  Berkley moved past him to place his supper on the table.  “I got your favorite.  Don’t you want to eat?”  She said hoping for the distraction she needed to cool him down.  Only one more day was all she needed and then she could pack up and leave this life behind. 

She still cared for B.J. on some level but his feelings for her had become obsessive and it wasn’t healthy.  He was growing more possessive and the relationship was crumbling because it was based on physical attraction. Lasting relationships eventually it require more than that.  Now it was nothing but negative and it was time for her to bail for both their sakes.

B.J. walked over to the table and opened his plate giving it a quick nod of approval and slid into his chair.  They ate in silence.  He studied every move she made. 

Once he cooled down and began thinking straight he noticed her clothes. "Why are you so dressed up?"

Oh crap.  She had completely forgotten that she was still dressed for her interview. 
“I took the bus into town.  I went by the school to check on my credits.”  She lied.