Chapter 9 - Repercussions

Chapter 9

The rest of the weekend went by with tension and unspoken words.  Dane had a sick feeling in the pit of stomach as Berkley barricaded herself from him.  She stayed in her room until after lunch and Dane doubted she had any intention of coming out at all but Ethan kept going over to her door calling after her.  Dane constantly had to pull him away from her door and tell him that Berkley didn’t feel good today.  What else could he do?  He didn’t know what was wrong with her. 

Finally he put Ethan down for a nap as he closed the door behind him he caught a glimpse of Berkley’s ponytail as she scurried down the stairs.  He climbed over the gate and hurried after her.  He found her in the kitchen with the Tupperware under one arm and a spoon in her hand.

“Berkley is everything alright?”

“Why wouldn’t it be?”

“I don’t know maybe because you’re upset with me about something?”

“I’m not upset with you.”

“Then why are you avoiding me like I have the plague.  I know it’s your day off technically but Ethan has spent the past hour asking for you.”

“I’m sorry, I heard.  I just need to sort things out in my head and I can’t do that both of you pressuring me.”

“So now I’m pressuring you?”  He said defensively.

“No I didn’t mean it like that.”

“I’m the Nanny Dane.”

“That doesn’t bother me.”

“It bothers your parents.  And eventually it will bother you.”

Dane walked around the counter and stood beside her.  “Berkley, I know you regret what happened yesterday but I’m not going to lie to you.  I don’t and I hate it that you do.”  He slid his hands up her neck and cradled her face in his hands.

“Dane that is the point, you don’t regret it and you should.”

“Why?”

“Because, if we hadn’t been interrupted where would it leave us today?  What about Ethan?”

“I would be the same today as I was yesterday.  What about you?”

“I wouldn’t be the same Dane.  I don’t do the whole friends with benefits thing.  I’m just not geared that way.”

“You think that is what this is?  You think I just want you for a bed buddy?”

 “No I don’t regret it but it would have been a mistake just the same.”

“You’re wrong.”

“Okay let’s say I am wrong.  Then were back to your parents, your work and friends how will they feel?  What then?”

“I don’t know what you mean.”

“Yesterday at Clarabella’s Dane, you were so attentive to me that you failed to notice the way I was shunned by the other customers.  Even the staff until they realized I was with you.  I don’t fit in your world.”

“That’s not true.”

“Dane, just let it go.  It’s best.”

“Fine.”  Dane said turning go upstairs.  He was angry and he wanted to get out of the house and far away from Berkley to clear his head.  He packed a bag for Ethan and returned carrying them both down the stairs.